Author Topic: Using dry hopped aroma hops in another batch for bittering?  (Read 4445 times)

Offline harlanhu28

• BeerSmith New Brewer
Has anyone done this, and should I change the IBU formula? I want to use these in a new batch at 90,60 and 30.. Can I or is it a waste of time?

The reason I am asking is they are leaf Amarillo hops and I used 3OZ for dry hopping in a 10 gallon batch in a bag.. As we all know Amarillo is very hard to find now! Thanks for the help

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Using dry hopped aroma hops in another batch for bittering?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »
I would fear some vegetal off-flavor from the soaking wet hops. 

Offline Ziggybrew

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
I see Maltlickers point and assume the same.  However, it makes sense that it "might" work. Try it and let us know. Until I start growing hops; it is good to conserve those 3$ ounces! Seriously, if you can use a dry-hop bunch for bitering in another batch --huge idea! Thanks

maddspoiler

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:47:54 AM »
Had the problem of no Amarillo last time I went to make an IPA... Might be a good idea, never know unless you try. Let me know how it turns out!

Offline dogma46an2

• “Sir, you are drunk!” and ”Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”
  • “I drink to make other people interesting.”
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »
Defiantly sounds like a great experiment   
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.”

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:44:33 PM »
I would use them for the first addition.

Try it and keep us updated!
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Troutguy

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
I agree on trying them in the first addition as most of the compounds will have been removed by the alcohol in the beer during the dry hopping process.  There will certainly not be many glands left in the flowers.  Trying them in the first addition will give you the best conversion utilization of what alphas remain into the iso-alpha bitterness.  It will have some vegetable/grassy flavors (like using fresh hops - picked right before the boil) but much of this flavor will be absorbed by the beer in the dry-hopping as well.  Taste a few of the flowers...they usually taste slightly sweet, you'll get a bit of whatever you taste in your kettle.  As far as how to calculate what alphas are left for conversion in the new batch...that's anyone's guess.

modification