Author Topic: External Refrigerator Controllers  (Read 24421 times)

Offline JSherm

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Re: External Refrigerator Controllers
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
I have the Johnson Controls temp controller.  I used it for the first time on the last brew for both temperature control during fermentation and crash cooling (in a chest freezer).  I worked perfectly!  No complaints:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER-P762C100.aspx

JSherm

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
Finally got my johnson controller. Calibration seems off by about 3 degrees F.

It helps to circulate the air inside the freezer.  Little three-inch fans from old PCs can be wired to old cell phone chargers to run when plugged in.  Moves air around inside freezer and helps a bunch.   "Damp Rid" also helps control moisture and condensation.

@Maine - Brew Haulers work well for me and my wimpy back. 

maddspoiler

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »
Yeah, Ill have to try the damp rid because the chest freezers do not seem to remove moisture like a refrigerator does.

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
I keep the probe of my external controller in a bottle of water.

I use a 3" PC fan to circulate the cold air.

I use a big PBW bottle filled with silica gel packs I get from stuff shipped to work.  This helps a lot with humidity control.  I dry these out underneath my burners on brew days.

I clean my keezer every three or four weeks.

I still get mildew on my kegs.  I clean the exteriors with bleach and rinse well.

Offline 420BeerNut

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
I have one but be careful! The fridge I bought at Best Buy crapped out mid-lager and had to scamble to get food and crap out of the way of my normal food fridge for 2 (two!) carboys to continue fermenting, the beers came out great, but I ate like crap for a few weeks, everything was scattered. Have the fridge back and running, but may just serve draught for a while as a kegerator...

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »
420 - at least you've got your priorities straight! lol
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Murphy

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 03:05:59 AM »
Regarding lifting carboys in and out of a chest freezer, just go to HD, Lowes and buy yourself a pair of gloves that have rubber ribs on them. You get a great grip on your carboy, but still have to be careful. Mine are yellow.

Offline turnole

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 03:42:10 AM »
I also have the Johnson controller and I'm satisfied with it and would recommend it to everyone (it's definitely worth the money)! I look up to everybody who does DIY projects, unfortunately I have a very limited talent regarding construction projects, and prefer to buy everything ;) It would be nice if some guys here would share their own projects, I'm curious!

Offline rkjones1953

• BeerSmith New Brewer
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 03:20:28 PM »
 8)I purchased both a chest and an upright freezer for fermenting and chilling kegged beer. I used the controllers and use a heat blanket when I want to use either one for ferminting. I use a pully system and harness to move my carboys or cornies in and out of the chest freezer. I purchased a lift at harbor freight that allows me to slide a carboy or keg to the upright freezer. Using both of these methods saves me from back pain and/or breaking a class carboy.

Offline Wingeezer

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Save the whales - Collect the whole set.
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
I found wide temperature swings in my home built kegerator (made from a new Danby fridge). It would swing up and down
from 27F to 42 and back within about an hour.   

So I bought a Johnson A419 digital controller, set it at 34-38 and that's what the fridge now runs at.

Seems to work fine.

Brian.   

Offline ArtCox

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Beer is proof, God Loves Us..
    • Goodhead Brewery
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »
The Jan/Feb issue of BYO has a temp controller project.

Offline chas382

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »
I bought my Johnson Digital Controller  from Sear's and a 7.5 cubic foot chest freezer from HHGREGG. Got both for about $200. I did a lot of searching to get that low of a price.

Offline Doom5oh

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
I just completed a DIY temp controller that is 2 stage (meaning it will heat and cool) and it took me an hour to complete.

http://www.skiesmall.com/temperature-control-controller-stc1000-whit-sensor_p2017.html

STC 1000  $30
Radio Shack work box $6
Outlet $1
Open end 14-2 wire 3 prong plug from home depot  $8

Here's a helpful blog with photos..

http://boatsandhoeshomebrewery.blogspot.com/2012/01/dual-stage-temperature-controller-diy.html

Offline piper55

• stonewoods brewery
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »
 I have a chest freezer with a box made of 2x10 to extend the lid higher, with a johnson digital controler just make sure you secure the sensor bulb for the controler well or it will fall out and you will have frozen lager. I also have taps on the front and can fit 4 kegs or three kegs and a carboy. I got the idea in byo magazine they have plans for the whole thing