• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Setting up my Beersmith2! Need Help

flyingbeernurd

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just downloaded Beersmith2 to my computer and need help setting up some things. First, I'm trying to figure out how to set up my equipment. I brew 2.13 gallon size batches. I'm trying to figure out my boil volume. When I enter in 2.13 for batch size, it calculates a 2.72 boil volume. I know I never have a boil volume of 2.72 gallons. It's usually a gallon to a gallon and a half, then I add that wort to cold water in the fermenter.
Do I need to change that boil volume in order for my recipes to be correct on beersmith, if so, how?

I'm sure I"m going to have lots more questions on using this software!

Howdy,

Firstly, are you doing extract or partial, and have you made sure that you have selected what type of brewing you are doing.

Secondly, have your batch size set at 2.13 or whatever it is you want to be going into your fermenter. Now next to your equipment profile there is a red tick thingy, click that and select how much water you want to top up with in the fermenter.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the info! I am doing extract brewing for now. What do you mean by selecting what type brewing I'm doing?

I do have my batch size set at 2.13. The top up amount, is that the amount that I'm adding to the fermenter after the wort has gone in?

I really appreciate your help!

Ok, I just went back in and clicked on "my equipment" profile and changed my top up water amount for the fermenter. I didn't see a red thingy to click, it just opened up a pop up window to let you change the parameters for your equipment, so maybe I'm in a different area than you are telling me to go to. Does this sound right?

Here's another question......when you click on the "add recipe" tab, this is where you make up your own recipe right? I want to steep some carahell grain for my recipe but I can't find where it gives you that option. When I click on the "add grain" icon on the right, it doesn't have that grain and it shows no steeping capabilities!

Where can I find this?

Also, I assume there's no telephone support for this software huh? I know I could get a lot of questions answered faster over the phone.

Hi,
 If you add grains to an extract recipe, it will display them on "brew steps" as steeped.  Basically all extract grains are steeped by default.

Sorry - but I can't really do telephone support in any feasible way- my huge brewing software conglomerate consists of just one person!  I do try to answer every email promptly and I've been covering the forum as well.  I'm at the homebrewers conference this week, but will get back to a faster response time again next week.

Brad

flyingbeernurd said:
Thanks for the info! I am doing extract brewing for now. What do you mean by selecting what type brewing I'm doing?

I do have my batch size set at 2.13. The top up amount, is that the amount that I'm adding to the fermenter after the wort has gone in?

I really appreciate your help!

Hey bud,

When I mean what type of brewing you are doing, when you open a new recipe, next the name of the beer, is the tab Type. You want to click that and select extract.

The red tick I was talking about was for editing your equipment, sounds like you found it.

Back