• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Malt Yield Percentage

OddNotion

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I plan on brewing the Surly Bitter Brewer Clone in about two weeks and really want to enter this recipe into BeerSmith. The only problem I am running into some trouble finding the Specs on a lot of the grains involved in the brew. I am not sure if the Simpson's Medium Crystal is equivalent to 40L or 60L and if the Roasted Barley is the same as any other one I buy. If anyone has the informatiom please let me know. I am looking for the Yield, Potential, Coarse Find Difference, Moisture, Diastatic Power, and Protein %. The grains are:

Thomas Fawcett Optic Malt
Canadian Pale Ale Malt
Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
Simpsons Medium Crystal
Simpsons Roasted Barley

Cheers!

What I do is go to each manufacturer and get product specs.  If nothing is close I add a new ingredient.

Mark

Yeah their sites are not too helpful in that respect and I am looking to add the new ingredients but want to make sure I get the right sepcs in there so I can calculate my efficiencies properly.

Most of these grains are included in a downloadable pack from BeerSmith. I would use Gambrinus for the Canadian Pale malt.
You can also get info on most of these from Brewer's Supply Group, who distributes malts.
I agree, most malting companies are not full of info on their website. A good LHBS should be happy to provide this info.

Back