Author Topic: Malt Yield Percentage  (Read 5656 times)

Offline OddNotion

• BeerSmith New Brewer
Malt Yield Percentage
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
Hey all,

I plan on brewing the Surly Bitter Brewer Clone in about two weeks and really want to enter this recipe into BeerSmith. The only problem I am running into some trouble finding the Specs on a lot of the grains involved in the brew. I am not sure if the Simpson's Medium Crystal is equivalent to 40L or 60L and if the Roasted Barley is the same as any other one I buy. If anyone has the informatiom please let me know. I am looking for the Yield, Potential, Coarse Find Difference, Moisture, Diastatic Power, and Protein %. The grains are:

Thomas Fawcett Optic Malt
Canadian Pale Ale Malt
Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
Simpsons Medium Crystal
Simpsons Roasted Barley

Cheers!

Offline merfizle

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Malt Yield Percentage
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
What I do is go to each manufacturer and get product specs.  If nothing is close I add a new ingredient.

Mark
Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

Offline OddNotion

• BeerSmith New Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:34:45 PM »
Yeah their sites are not too helpful in that respect and I am looking to add the new ingredients but want to make sure I get the right sepcs in there so I can calculate my efficiencies properly.

Offline Rusty Nails

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:01:38 AM »
Most of these grains are included in a downloadable pack from BeerSmith. I would use Gambrinus for the Canadian Pale malt.
You can also get info on most of these from Brewer's Supply Group, who distributes malts.
I agree, most malting companies are not full of info on their website. A good LHBS should be happy to provide this info.