• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Shared data directory

Freshness

Apprentice
Reaction score
I run Beersmith on two computers - my home desktop and my laptop.  I would like to be able to access the data and make changes from both machines.  I can't be in two places at once, so I would not be actively working on a recipe from both machines at the same time, but it's possible that I could forget to shut down the program on, for example, my desktop machine, and later attempt to edit a recipe from my laptop when I'm at a friend's house.  I plan to use Dropbox to sync the data between machines. 

How well would Beersmith behave in the above scenario?  Is there a file locking mechanism that can detect when another instance of Beersmith is attempting to edit a file that is open? 

Thanks in advance,
  Ray

Hi,
  It is possible to have the data on a shared drive, but if you run both copies at once the one that you close last will likely overwrite the data for the other.  In fact there is risk of data loss if you have two copies running on the same data directory at the same time.

There is no file locking mechanism - so the only way this would really work is if you are careful to close one copy before opening another.

Brad

Back