Author Topic: Making a stout w/out kit  (Read 3425 times)

Offline lolidk

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Making a stout w/out kit
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:07:55 PM »
Hi, I am a relatively new brewer, (on my 3rd batch now,) and I wanted to make a stout without a kit. I grow my own hops (of the zeus variety) and also my own barley (even though I usually but it, and will do so for this batch if needed). Could someone give a "recipe" as guidlines? (brand of malt, amount of hops, etc.) 

Offline CRider

Re: Making a stout w/out kit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:45:36 AM »
Check the recipe setion.  tons of recipe there

Offline lolidk

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:36:02 PM »
Alright, internet has been fixed, and I have found the ingredients. http://hopville.com/recipe/96999/oatmeal-stout-recipes/chocolate-oatmeal-stout# I am making that recipe, but I only want to make 1 gallon, not six. I divided all the measurements by 6, but what dhould I do for the brew time?

Offline DaveinPa

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:03:02 PM »
Brew time is not dependent on batch volume, at least on the home brewing level.  I suggest you get How to Brew, by John Palmer (or read it on line) and learn the process before committing to brewing a batch.  All grain is very different from kit beer - it takes a lot more time to mash the grain and extract the wort by sparging.  I can't imagine investing the time involved in mashing/sparging/brewing to make only one gallon.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:23:32 PM by DaveinPa »

maddspoiler

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Listen to the Jamil Show on the Brew Network. He has some awesome recipes on the old Podcasts. You can get them free on iTunes. -And get the book by John Palmer like DaveinPa says.

Offline klw

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »
with Zeus hops, have you thought about making it an imperial stout?