• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using BeerSmith 2 for Pro Brewing (Scaling Recipes)

rcarvalho55 said:
Am I right to say that I can upscale a 5 gal batch recipe in BS to a 1bbl by simply multiplying all figures by 6? And by figures I mean grains, hops, water and yeast.

Not exactly. Scaling is designed to match the recipe to the differing specs of equipment. The larger the volume jump, the more a small rounding error can become an issue. For instance, I have a 40 bbl recipe that takes just 10 lbs of black malt. A 5 gallon version would just calculate 0.645 oz. Well, that's a bit impractical, but, do we round that up or down? If then scaled back up, you can see how it won't line up with the original number.

When going from small to large, you first have to just give it a reality check. Think about the flavor impact of the grain and adjust accordingly. That's what being a pro brewer is all about!

Back