• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

TOASTED BASE MALT

FUZZYV

Apprentice
Reaction score
If I toast 2-row, do I still treat it as base malt or crystal or roast as it pertains to mash acidification. I had to call the 4/9.5 lbs crystal 20L to get the pH down to 5.3. Any way to predict color contribution? All base malt should be SRM=3 Mosher, but actual SRM=11-12. Had to call it 4 lbs crystal 40L to get there but then gravity fell below actual facts. This was was my best Mash Extract Efficiency to date at 85% for basically 100% base malt for a Blonde Ale.
Any thoughts or empirical data would be grist for the mill. Thanks

Here's a link vis a vis home roasting and estimated color.
http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/

Beersmith 2 has toasted malt in the database and I believe it states that the 25 L color can be achieved by toasting base malt at 350 for 20-30 minutes.  I'm not on my home computer so I can't pull up Beersmith right now.
I tried this in an Irish Red Ale that I made recently and taste and color came out perfect.

At my computer now......10-15 at 350 is what Beersmith2 states

I just put base malt on a cookie sheet and mixed it up about halfway through

DON"T go over 15 mniutes at 350 I did and saw a little smoke when I opened the oven and found the worst ever burnt smell. had to start all over.

I know this topic is old but I wanted to answer hit on a few topics in case someone else is looking up this info on here. You will want to mash dry roasted grains, simply steeping them like caramel malt will impart some flavor, but not contribute much to the beer as far as any sugars. Dry roasted grains have not undergone any conversion, so mashing is required to get the full benefit of the grain. You can however, make homemade caramel malt by doing a mash in the husk of the grain, drying the grain, then if you want a darker caramel malt; roasting it.

Going over 15 minutes at 350 degrees is not an issue, I've done so many times before, at least on my oven. I think if there was excessive smoking then possibly the heat was too close to the grain. As a matter of fact copper malt, brown malt, deep amber, and so forth; all require the higher roasting temperature for an extended period. I personally have never experienced any smoking or burnt grains with these types of roast, but if you are burning, I would check how close the grains are to the heat source and if possible, misting with some distilled water may help.

I have done a ton of roasting and specialty grains at home, if you have any questions you can feel free to ask.

Back