• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

10 Gallon Batches

curtis

Apprentice
Reaction score
My most recent 5 gallon batch of brew lasted us all of one week and we were gone 3 days of that week! (It was AHS 20th Anniversary Pilsner by the way which was awesome!). I think it is time to upgrade to 10 gallon batches.

Summary of my brew config as background for my question: I currently brew using partial mash techniques in a 22-quart brew pot. My typical boil is no more than 3 gallons and I add water at the end of the boil to help start cooling it down and adjust the the volume/gravity to where it should be. To finish up the cooling I also have a Duda Diesel wort chiller (great product BTW). Been brewing this way for about 5 years now and it works out great. I also have a kegging system with 5 gallon corn'y kegs. I am currently transitioning to using the kegs as both primary and secondary fermenters (and lagering). So far that's working out well too.

I don't really want to change my brewing configuration -- I just want more beer! It seems to me it should be pretty straight forward to just increase the gravity of the wort without dramatically increasing the volume. For example, doing a full 5 gallon boil (which should just fit in my brew pot) and then adding water to adjust volume and gravity. The typical batches I brew don't have more than 3 lbs of specialty grains and I think doubling that to 6 lbs will still work in my brew pot (although it will be a bit cozy). Then simply split the wort to two kegs and top up.

Does anyone have experience with this approach and/or suggestions?

Thanks,

Curtis

The approach seems straight forward but I am not sure your current pot is going to accommodate your volume being only 22 qts (5.5gal) in accounting for boil overs and the amount of wort that will boil off on a full 5gal. boil. We do full boils and use a 7gal kettle with an average boil off of 1.25 gal/hr.

In addition not only are you increasing the grain but I am assuming the amount of extract as well with a partial mash so you also need to account for those volumes, using beersmith you should be able to re-scale your recipe and verify your equipment profile and run the calculations. The software will place a red dot next to any item that is out of sync and let you know where you will run short.

As for the method you are essentially trying to do a partial boil of a partial mash, similar to partial boils of extract recipes so assuming you have the proper capacity your theory should work in the dilution to proper OG. Another thing to keep in mind is that just because you want to double a recipe it is not always as straight forward as just doubling your ingredients as all the different ingredients are effected by temps, times, efficiency, etc.

Curtis
You really need a bigger pot or do two batches in one day.  You're all ready set up so it will add about 2 hours to your brew day.  I would also suggest using Fermcap-S.  You can get this at your LHBS or online.  It is a surface tension breaker; this will allow you to increase your boil size up to about a gallon less than your pot without (or greatly reducing) risk of boil over.  I have used it in the last several brews with great success.  It is use by the professional brewers and because it will settle out in the fermentation it won't affect the final beer.  I also use it in the fermentation to reduce the foaming head, this will allow you to ferment without risk of blow off.  There is also a lot of good yeast that gets trapped in the krausen at the top when it should be in the wort doing its thing. 

A source of good stainless steel pot is http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/stainless_steel_stock_pot.htm
I recently brought one with the strainer basket to use in a BIAB process.  The basket makes the BIAB really easy.  This could be your path into all grain, if you ever get the bug.

All the best, David 

Sounds to me like you want to move to the next level but do not want to change.  Deal with it.  The challenge of a ten gallon brewery is one that you can slowly build on over the next year or so. 

Plan it out, step by step and get there.  That is the beauty of this hobby.

Back