• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Tracking a 10 Gallon Batch Fermented as two 5 gallon batches

dbendinger

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I used BeerSmith to brew by 10 gallon batch but I want to break up the fermentation into two 5 gallon batches.  What would be the best way to do this in BeerSmith?

While I haven't done this personally, I would probably copy the recipe, scale it to 1/2, then copy again.

Are you looking at variance in yeast strains? I'm planning on playing with this when I move up to 10 gallon batches.

What I have done in the past is have N+1 recipes, where N is the number of variants that I want to make.  I create one recipe for creating the extract, then I create the N other recipes for the following stages.  Sometimes I play with hops, or specialty grains, or yeast strains. 

I've used this approach for as many as 5 different simultaneous variations.  I had a single 7.5 gallon mash to produce a standard Pale Ale wort, followed by 5 different boils with different steeping grains in each.

Back