• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking to go Bigger

Rookie on a Mission

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I started with Brewers best on my stove top and I have been hooked ever since. I upgraded to a 20 gallon brew pot and I am capable of doing 30 gallon extract batches. Which works nicely when my friends and I get together every month or so and split it 3-4 ways. However, just last weekend I had 50 gallons of beer in various stages of fermentation in my brew closet. Buckets, and carboys everywhere.

Finally I am going to pull the trigger on a 30 Gallon conical fermentor. I imagine that 30 gallons of anything is going to be quite stationary so my question is about pumps.. Do I really need a $150 (400 gallon per min) pump that is likely overpriced because it says it is for Brewing beer? 1 gallon per minute would work just fine. Its not that I am cheap, but getting the wife to be ok with the cost of a fermentor plus the hoses, plus the pump is going to be tough. Looking to make the bottom line a little easier to swallow and still get the instant grat.

A couple of things to consider for a brew pump. 

Are you going to use it after the brew kettle to pump though a counter flow or plate chiller?  If so, you need something that can take the 200 degree heat.  If you are chilling in the kettle, and just need to pump the beer to the fermenter, you need to consider the distance of the hose and the difference in elevation; both of these play a part in the head pressure of a pump.  You also want a pump with has food grade materials that will come in contact with your wort. 

In short, you probably want the features of the 'beer' pumps out there.  Do some research, there are other pumps, like the Little Giant brand that are marketed as spa or pond pumps, but meet all the requirements and might be lower cost.

Back