• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1st BIAB attempt

Scooba

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Here's my attempt at designing a recipe.  Is this along the lines of a porter? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Recipe: Vanilla Bourbon Porter
Brewer: Craig
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.38 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal 
Bottling Volume: 5.28 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 41.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
12 lbs 6.9 oz        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          Grain        1        77.5 %       
11.5 oz              Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                Grain        2        4.5 %       
11.5 oz              Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain        3        4.5 %       
11.5 oz              Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)                    Grain        4        4.5 %       
11.5 oz              Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)  Grain        5        4.5 %       
11.5 oz              Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)              Grain        6        4.5 %       
0.50 oz              Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop          7        11.7 IBUs   
0.50 oz              Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop          8        9.0 IBUs     
0.50 oz              Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min      Hop          9        4.3 IBUs     
0.50 oz              Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min      Hop          10      0.4 IBUs     
1.0 pkg              Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [1 Yeast        11      -           
2.00 Items            Vanilla Bean (Secondary 21.0 days)      Flavor        12      -           
0.50 Cup              Bourbon (Secondary 21.0 days)            Flavor        13      -           

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs 0.6 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Saccharification  Add 38.22 qt of water at 164.4 F        156.0 F      60 min       
Mash Out          Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min              168.0 F      10 min       

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Primary Ferm. for 14 days, the add Vanilla beans and Bourbon to the Secondary for 21 days

That's a lot of dark malt.

Recently I used only one ounce each of Black Patent, Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malt and it was sufficient to make a really dark brew. 

Before that I used 4oz Chocolate malt, 2oz Black Patent and 4oz Roasted Barley with the intention of making a porter, and renamed it 'Accidental Stout'.

I would suggest backing way off on the Black Patent.

Otherwise it looks pretty tasty.

Oops. I would suggest backing way off on both the Black Patent and the Chocolate Malt.  An ounce or two each should do the trick. 

Thanks so much for the help!!  So I will back off on the Black Patent and the Chocalate to about 4 oz.  Is that ok?  Everything else should stay the same?

The only way to know for sure is to do it. You won't let it go to waste  ;)

When I'm making recipes I start with a basic representation of a style, then repeat it while varying just one ingredient at a time.
For example I've been on a pilsner kick this winter.  So I've made batches with and without Carapils, different varieties of hops, dry hopping vs hops at flame-out, varying amounts of bitter hops, all to get a feel for how each ingredient affects the brew.
So far I've only make one that I didn't like. I added way to much dry hops. But that's fine. I just fill the pitcher with half 'Overhop' and top it off from another keg.

I wouldn't want to dump it down the drain. That's alcohol abuse!

Back