• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Meanings and definitions!

Wingeezer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am still wrestling somewhat to better understand Beersmith2 in order to get the best use from it.

Here are a couple points I'm struggling with!

On  my recipe  pages,  on the left hand under "Style Guide comparison"

I see the heading  "Est. Original Gravity" and a number in the adjacent  box.

Then on the right side of the recipe page about the same way down the page,

I see the heading "Est Pre-boil gravity"  and a number in its adjacent box.

The two numbers are not the same.    The Est. Original gravity is always the higher figure,  I can only guess that

"Est. Original gravity"  must mean "after the boil"  since boil off losses would presumably increase the SG.

Is that the way it works?  At first I though "Est Original gravity"  and "pre-boil gravity"  were two ways of saying the same thing but it seems not.

Also, further down on the right side is another entry  "Measured Efficiency"  and a number is already filled in.

What the heck does that number mean,  is it referring to measured brewhouse efficiency,  and how does it get to be  measured??

A number seems to be  already filled in before I make the brew!  I'm confused! 

Wouldn't I need to  measure the actual volume and SG going into the fermenter to  readings to determine the  so-called 
"Measured Efficiency?   

Brian

My guess is that you are working with an already established recipe, and thus the filled in "measured" boxes,

but you are correct as far as the diff between preboil and OG. The boil off will naturally increase the gravity. Those are based on the fermemntables (and non) in the recipe design. Change them, and the ESTIMATED gravities and other numbers will change. If you tab over to the mash and fermentation pages, you will see how the efficincy numbers are calculated.

Hope this helps

Ok, that is helpful, thanks!

Indeed what I have been looking at so far have been recipes that were already in Beersmith - if I understand what you are saying
correctly if I were to input a new recipe from scratch, there would be some boxes that would be empty until I actually make the  beer and then plug in the required numbers.

Lots to learn in this game - but a challenge and fun for this aging brain!

Brian

Back