• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Understanding BSBrew Steps for Batch Sparge

CarpeDiem601

Apprentice
Reaction score
From reading on the BeerSmith website it describes a two stage batch sparge with equal size batches to equal your final boil amount.  However, when i'm looking at the directions that BS prints in it's auto-generated "Brewing Steps" when the "Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge" Mash profile is selected it mentions a 10 step process.  For example: Batch Sparge with 10 steps (Drain mash tun, 0.92 gal, 0.92 gal, 0.92 gal, 0.92 gal, 0.92 gal, 0.92 gal, 0.92 gal, 0.92 gal, 0.92 gal) of 167.7 F water.

Can someone help explain to me why the BS website explains a 2 stage process while the BS "Brewing Steps" describes a 10 step process for batch sparging.  Also, can someone help me create a Mash profile to match the two-stage process that I understand and wish to use?

Thanks,
Nick

Carpe (or is that Mr. Diem?)-

The artice you refer to is describing the optimal batch sparge process.  Optimal in the sense of time invested vs. efficiency loss.  More batches can be proven to provide greater efficiency, but it means more time per step with very minimal gains. 

BS2 calculates the number of sparges based on the defined batch volume, mash tun size, and batch sparge settings.  So, if you have a small mash-tun, or are making a super large batch, or have some unusual batch sparge settings then you will get these high number of steps. 

It looks like you are trying to do a 10 gallon batch with a 5 gallon mash-tun.

Thanks a lot for the explanation and tip Tom!  I adjusted my equipment list and it updates the mash steps perfectly.  Youdaman!

I am about to attempt my first all grain batch Sunday and am using the wit recipe from the sample pack download. I think I correctly set to a 5.25 gal batch with a 10 gal mash tun and 10 gal pot. It is telling me to sparge in 2 steps with 1.68 and then 4.22 gal water. I guess I am not exactly sure how to do this. Is there simple advice or a video I can watch to show me what to do. It says to start with 14.45 qt of water (about 3.6 gal). So in total I am putting about 9.5 gal in teh mash tun. The boil volume is 7.63 gal.
Will the rest be absorbed by the grain or do I need to measure the sparge outflow? If I get a low water volume from the sparge should I just add plain water to make it to the 7.63 volume.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

http://howtobrew.com/section3/index.html

1.  Drain the mash tun....measure collected wort (SG and volume...correct measurements for temperature).
2.  Add 1.68 gallons of hot water.  stir, stir, stir!
3.  Drain mash tun...measure collected wort (SG and volume...correct measurements for temperature). 
4.  Add 4.22 gallons of hot water....stir, stir, stir!
5.  Drain mash tun...measure collected wort (SG and volume...correct measurements for temperature).

You are now done sparging. 

6.  Measure total volume and SG of wort in boil kettle  (SG and volume...correct measurements for temperature).

Now you have a decision point.  Do you have the correct volume?  Do you have the correct gravity?  You have several options depending on your results.

For your first batch, I'd recommend just following the recipe and not trying to correct your wort.  Add water to get up to your target boil volume, if needed.

In the future, you will want to correct your sugar content, and volume so that you end up with the beer you planned on.  But, you will be kinda busy just getting things done with your first batch. 

Your grain will absorb a little less than a quart per pound of grain.  Beersmith will have already compensated for this for you. 

Back