Author Topic: Use Mason Jar to bottle  (Read 16758 times)

Offline vytis74

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Use Mason Jar to bottle
« on: May 04, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »
Has anyone ever used a mason jar to bottle your home brew in?

The last batch I brewed I didn't have enough 22 oz. bottles and still had some left to bottle.  So I grabbed a couple of mason jars, sterilized them and filled them up.  I did a taste test with bottled beer vs. the mason jar and didn't find any taste difference.

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Use Mason Jar to bottle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:24:55 PM »
If I want to share kegged beer I often use mason jars since you can't easily fill a bottle from the tap.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
Mason jars are not designed to hold pressure.  Neither the lids nor the glass.  It is perfectly fine as a sterilizable container...but, it is not a pressure vessel. 

Its fine for transport, and such....but, not for long term storage or "bottle conditioning". 

ME Homebrewer:  Have you seen this?  Its pretty slick.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/bottling-wand-perlick-525-75-aka-bowie-bottler-228344/

I guess I'm assuming you have perlick faucets.

R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »
That does look pretty nifty.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline glienhard

• He was a wise man who invented beer. - Plato
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »
I agree about the jars not being designed to hold pressure.  I suppose that low to average carbonated beer would be ok in them, but I'm not one to chance it.  I personally don't have any issues filling bottles off kegs.  The trick is to dump the pressure way down to the point where it comes out nice and slow.  I always fill my bottles in a small bucket too.  This way when there is a little over flow, they are in a bucket to catch it.  If you are filling off a picnic tap, the bottling wand goes right inside the tip.  Otherwise, I use a standard piece of tube inside the faucet and the bottling wand on the other end.  Both work very well at low flow pressure.  Remember that any bottle filled off a keg should be filled so that there is very little head room.  This will help ensure the beer doesn't loose it carbonation.

Offline PetenNewburg

• “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is laughter, and in water there is bacteria” Benjamin Franklin
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »
  I use the "BeerGun"  for 98% of my bottling.  I filter most brews with a 5 micron filter when kegging.  CO2 carb the keg per chart specs.  The night before bottling I put the keg to be bottled in the refrigerator @ 32 degrees/ 10 PSI.  I bottle over a bucket but rarely have more than a cup of spillage.  So far erverything bottling this way has had very good carbonation.  I took samples of a 2xIPA to a club meeting last month, several people noticed that the bottling date was that day!!  They were amazed at the carbonation level. 

I like that flavors do not change as much from added sugars.  And there is very little crud at the bottom of the bottle.
Several meads ageing.
IPA kegged, 2/9/14
R. Porter in Secondary, 2/9/14
Next up, Vienna Lager, Pale Ale

modification