• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash efficiency

danimal

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,
Is there a way to have beersmith tell me what my estimated mash gravity should be after sparge? It tells me what my estimated pre-boil gravity should be but that must be after adding the DME, and I add my DME after I bring my wort to a boil (not the most opportune time to take a gravity reading). I would like to know whether or not I hit my target gravity by testing the wort directly after fly sparging. This will allow me to adjust my DME addition either up or down to hit my target gravity. I assume there is a way to do the calculations by hand and then adjust my mash efficiency either up or down depending on whether or not I hit my efficiency numbers, but isn't that why I buy a program, to do that work for me? Am I just missing something?

I used to set the Type to Partial Mash, design the recipe, and then remove the DME (reduce it to zero amount) to get the expected stats from just the mash process.  I'd record that pre-boil SG as my benchmark on the lautering, and then put the DME back in the recipe. 

There is probably a slicker solution, but it worked for me.

Slick, who needs slick that worked perfect. Thanks Malt! I used your recommendation on the batch that I brewed on Sunday and I was off by a mere one point. Was suppose to be 1.026 and I measured at 1.025. Woohoo. Now I am just wondering why I didn't think of that.

You can add the "Measured Pre-Boil Gravity" field to the recipe sheet to keep track of the gravity reading. So when brew day comes, You will have it handy.

Cheers
Preston

Back