• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewday Timer steps...

tom_hampton

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Brad-

I've used the brewday timer for my last three batches, and I'm liking it quite a bit.  A few things I think would improve it even further:

1.  Additional step types added to the Mash profile.  I take a few measurements at fixed moments during the mash (pH at 5 minutes in, and 5 minutes from the end, etc).  I'd also like to cue the start of other activities (Vorlauf 5 minutes from end, heating my sparge water 15 minutes from the end, etc).  So, it would be handy to have these included in the Mash Profile as a "NOTE STEP".  Right now, I use dummy infusion steps...but, its kind of wonky.

I hate it when the mash timer is up and I've forgotten to start heating my sparge water. 

2.  My goal with the mash is to exact AT LEAST as much sugar as the recipe design (I don't like adding DME to the kettle).  I set my efficiency about 5% low to ensure I have extra.  Then, I base my exact boil duration based on my actual mash extraction and pre-boil volume.  Ie,

boil duration = ((pre-boil volume) - (pre-boil G-points)/(post-boil GU))
                        ----------------------------------------------------------
                                                        boil-off-rate

It would be nice to edit the boil duration right on the timer page.  I quickly learned that this is NOT the function of the "set" button...though I tried that first.  it would be even nicer if BS2 would do the math for me...instead of flipping back and forth to MS Calc.  :) 

3.  A corollary to the above is that my final volume is calculated on brewday: pre-boil Gpoints/post-boil GU.  So, once I know how much sugar I extracted from the mash, I boil to a target volume, NOT a duration.  If I get my boil-off rate, its the same thing...but, I'll boil longer if I have to, in order to hit my target OG. 

Anyway, it would be helpful if BS2 could calculate my final kettle volume AT TEMPERATURE.  This would be the volume I read on my sight glass while the wort is boiling.  It would also be helpful if it would calculate the volume associated with the FIRST (or each) kettle ADDITION. 

4.  It would be handy if all of the ACTUAL MEASURED brewday data was available on the timer page.  Pre-boil, post-boil, volumes and gravities.  That way we never have to flip away from the timer page in order to record results during each step. 

5.  Once Ive done the boil duration calculation above, I control my flame level to ensure that I'm getting my desired boil-off rate.  At 15-30 minute intervals I check my BK volume to ensure that I'm boiling at the right rate.  A boil-off tool integrated with the timer, so I just enter volumes and it uses the current timer time would be handy to quickly check if I'm on target.  Again, it saves me scribbling on my brewsheet, and jumping over to ms Calc. 

The above is how I manage my brewday so that I end up with exactly what I planned to end up with. 

Back