• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1.5bbl System - Hop Utilization Factor?

apoxbrew

Apprentice
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for hop utilization settings for a 1.5bbl Nano system? I was going to go with 120% but in reading a bit, it sounds like folks on 3+ bbl systems are using that setting so I'm thinking it may be to night for me.

I realize this is a brew-adjust-brew-adjust kind of thing, but I'm looking to get in the ballpark the first time so I'm not having to make huge adjustments to my hop-bill from brew to brew.

Thanks!!

There's a lot of detail left out of your question, but I'd start with 110% and use Tinseth.

I suggest starting out with something that has a fairly wide range, like Pale Ale or Hefeweizen, to calibrate. Compare the taste to a known commercial sample. I use either Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (38 IBU, moderate cohumulone) or Widmier Hefeweizen (32 IBU low cohumulone). You should have it dialed in a batch or two.

Just keep in mind that the quality of your hops, yeast selection and ability to control oxidation downstream, will have a bigger effect on IBU perception than the calculation.

Why is it when i set my hop utilization to 110 and have 31 ibu on a scottish ale, then just for spits and giggles i set it to 200 percent and it doesnt change anything in the same recipe, am i missing somthing?

Back