Author Topic: Total Efficiency Greyed Out  (Read 12848 times)

Offline Stewart194

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Total Efficiency Greyed Out
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
Thanks again Tom.  I'm using a one gallon water jug, filling it up 6 times, and then I put 4 cups of water in for the .25 gallons using a measured cooking container.  Do you really think I could be off my volume by doing it this way?  The gallon jug doesn't have markers on it, but it's a standard 1 gallon distilled water container which I think would be pretty accurate.

The other thing I noticed yesterday though, is that when I filled up my carboy to the 5 gallon mark, I had more liquid (wort, grain, & hop trub) left over than I usually do.  I will measure that next time and see exactly how much it is.  The reason is probably because I'm not boiling the wort as violently as I did with the first 2 batches.  I read somewhere that you don't need to do that, so I backed it down this time to a nice rolling boil.  I will back that down in Beersmith from 6.25 gallons starting boil volume to 6 gallons...and also start with 6 gallons next time I brew and see how it goes.

Offline Stewart194

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »
Hey Tom -
One other thing I just thought of, instead of only adding 6 gallons of wort / water to my brew kettle before I start my 60 minute boil...what if I just boiled longer?  Does the OG climb the more you boil it down?  Jamil's AG recipes usually call for a 90 minute boil.  Is this a possibility for me??

Offline Humble Brewer

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • http://bgospelm.tumblr.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »
Hey Tom -
One other thing I just thought of, instead of only adding 6 gallons of wort / water to my brew kettle before I start my 60 minute boil...what if I just boiled longer?  Does the OG climb the more you boil it down?  Jamil's AG recipes usually call for a 90 minute boil.  Is this a possibility for me??

Yes they do climb.  The amount of sugar in the water post mash is a constant.  You converted as much as you converted.  If you spread those sugars over 10 gallons your gravity will be lower than all those sugars in 1 gallon.  Increasing your boil time to reduce the volume of water is fine.  It is more important to hit your gravity numbers than volume numbers.  Ideally though you dial in your gear and hit both!
Pastor and Brewer!
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin

Offline merfizle

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
Ok, I'm not seeing what you guys are describing. 

I created a simple extract recipe using 5.5 gallon batch size, 0 trub loss, and 100% eff (I also tried 75% with no difference).  I added 5 lbs 8 ounces of DME which has a potential of 44 pppg. 

That should give you an OG of: 44 pppg * 5.5 lbs / 5.5 gallons = 1.044.  In BS2 I get Est OG = 1.044.

Here is where the "trub loss" bug will come in.  If you have a non-zero trub loss (say 0.5 gallons), then your actual kettle volume would be 6 gallons (5.5 gallons for the batch, plus 0.5 gallons of trub loss).  As noted, BS2 does not include the trub loss in the kettle SG calculation.  It assumes (wrongly) that the trub loss only contains water not wort. 

That will result in an ACTUAL SG of 1.040 (44 * 5.5 lbs / 6 gallons = 1.040).  By setting the trub loss to 0, and adding  that 1/2 gallon to the batch size (bumping from 5.5 to 6.0), BS2 will then calculate the SG correctly. 

The BS2 formula for Kettle OG is: "total points from extract" / batch size.  BS2 assumes that you do not get ANY sugars from steeping grains. 

If online recipes are coming in lower when entered into BS2, perhaps the BS2 DME extract potential is different than what the recipes are assuming.  I know a lot of rough estimates assume that DME has a potential of 46 pppg, not 44.  This difference would cause BS2 to read LOW by comparison with the original recipe.  In the example above that would be by 2 pts (1.046 vs. 1.044).  The difference would scale linearly as the OG increased (at 1.057, BS2 would predict 1.054). 

Can you post an example recipe?  Include the recipe OG, and the BS2 OG for comparison.

Tom, thanks for this.  I didn't know about this bug and when I went back and adjusted my last 2-3 recipes my efficiency more closely matched expected numbers.

Cheers!

Mark
Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »
No sweat!
R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde