Author Topic: beer finish  (Read 4590 times)

Offline jhildebrand1

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
beer finish
« on: February 10, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
I've been brewing for just over a year and next week will be brewing my 140th gallon.
  One thing comes thru that i'm unhappy with I dont get a strong tasting finish that Im looking for.
  If I raise my grain bill and lower my LME,   will I get more of the flavor of the grain Im looking for, And is there a formula for grain to Extract.   Or am I just going to make the jump to all grain

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: beer finish
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
You might consider using a different grain.  American two row is kind on neutral.  Marris Otter or Golden Promise have more of an English grainy flavor.  Canadian Rahr has a bit more then American two row.   It could be you need to add some Munich or Vienna malt to get that taste you seek.  Then again, some rye might be the answer.  Sometime flaked barley add that extra mouth feel you thing s a grain flavor. 

It is hard to pick out because we all have an idea what we want but it is not the same for us all.  I use golden promise and add some Munich malt with my Pale or IPA.

Offline grathan

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
I find that all-grain has a more agreeable flavor.

divide by 0.75
So recipe with 7.5 Lbs LME would be 10 Lbs of grain.

all-grain is cheaper, but a lot more work.  Unless your already mashing (holding temperature) for an hour anyways and not just doing 5 minute steeps.

Offline jhildebrand1

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »
 Thanks for all the great help and idea's

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »
What do you mean by "strong tasting finish"?

Can you give an example and maybe a counter example? Do you mean hops, malt, bitter, aroma, yeast esters...?

Or am I just going to make the jump to all grain

I recommend that to every brewer.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline jhildebrand1

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
If I drink a IPA I want the hop to be the last thing I taste. Same with a brown malty beer I want to finish with a strong malt flavors.  My beer seems to me to have a mild finish to me. My wife thinks there fine,  I'm just trying to dail in a flavor profile that's enjoyable to me

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »
If I drink a IPA I want the hop to be the last thing I taste.

Dry hops.

Same with a brown malty beer I want to finish with a strong malt flavors.

Crystal malt, and back off on flavor/aroma hops.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline MikeinRH

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »
Have you had your water tested? If you're using 100% RO H2O, there's nothing left for hops to "hang onto". Since finding out that I needed to add gypsum and pH stabilizer during the mash process it has made all the difference in the world. Google Ward Labs. They will send you a kit with instructions and postage so you can send them a sample of the water you're using.