• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting Boil Off

Belgian Inspired

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to modify my boil off.  So I go to equipment and change it but it has zero effect on my Estimated Original Gravity?  It does change my Bitterness/IBU but not OG?  Should I be making this modification somewhere else in the program?

Yep.  That is actually a good learning point for people moving to all-grain.  Extract is easier in that the package is made for five gallons so you start with 6.0 or 6.5 or whatever you feel like boiling off, and then stop at five gallons to get the OG of the kit.  Or, you boil 4 gallons and top off to reach five.

With AG, you're making the [proper] amount of wort sugars rather than buying DME, and your brewing software will let you add four extra gallons and then watch you while you boil it off, but the amount of wort sugars you lautered is the same regardless how much you water it down during the sparge.  Also identical is the final amount of water that is still diluting those sugars when you're done boiling, presumably also five gallons, so SG would be the same.  You have not changed your target, just your watering down.  BeerSmith just tells you to collect more so you can boil longer and reach that same target. 

Bitterness rises because the lower gravity wort (from the excess water) facilitates better utilization of the hops during the boil. 

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html
I got a lot of help from this post when I made the jump to all grain. He even has a neat little spread sheet that helps with everything. If you have further questions please ask. Salud!

Back