• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Propagation

Curly55

Master Brewer
Reaction score
So I was doing so reading today when I had some spare time and this caught my eye...

From wyeasylab.com
1-Step-10-Fold Propagation

A 1-Step-10-Fold propagation is the most common type of propagation used by brewers. This is a single step propagation which involves inoculating a small volume of wort, allowing it to attenuate 50-75%, and then adding a 10 fold volume of oxygenated wort on top.

Volume:
Determine the volume of propagation wort by dividing the final desired fermentation volume by 10. Next subtract this volume from the final desired fermentation volume to determine the amount of wort needed for the final fermentation.

Example: A 20 Bbl final fermentation volume will require a 2 Bbl propagation. Following gravity drop, an addition of 18 Bbl of wort will be required for this fermentation.

Pitch Rates:
The following are typical pitch rates for a 1-Step-10-Fold propagation:

Ales: 1 liter per Barrel or Hectoliter
Wheats: 1 liter per Barrel or Hectoliter
Lagers: 2 liters per Barrel or Hectoliter
High Gravity: 2 liters per Barrel or Hectoliter
Propagation Example (1-Step-10-Fold):

A 20 Barrel brewery wants to propagate yeast for a 1.060 gravity beer.

The brewery would order 2 liters of yeast and inoculate 2 barrel of well oxygenated wort at 70°F.
The propagation would be allowed to ferment for 48 hours or until 50-75% gravity drop.
Following gravity drop, 18 Bbl of wort would be run in on top of it.
The initial cell count in this example would be around 10-12 million cells per ml. If the yeast is allowed to ferment for 48 hours, the cell count would increase enough to supply 5-6 million cells per milliliter when increased to a total of 20 barrels.

Just thinking that this might be something to try on the home brew scale, and kind of wondering others opinions.

Errr....I think that's called a starter. 

Put 1 vial of yeast into 2 liters of starter wort on a stirplate (well oxygenated wort).  Wait 24 hours, pitch into newly created wort. 

There are many variations on the same theme.  But, at the end of the day, its just making a starter, and pitching at high krausen.

For example.  I had a 3 month old vial of yeast, and planned to make a beer with it yesterday.  On Wednesday, I pitched that into 1 liter of starter wort (1.040), and put it on a stirplate.  I let it grow for 24 hours, then crashed it for 24 hours.  then decanted the beer and added another liter of fresh wort.  Back on the starter plate.  After 24 hours, crash for another 12.  On brewday (sunday).  Decant the spent beer again, and add 500 ml of fresh wort.  I wanted to minimize the flavor/color contribution of the starter on my beer. 

Brew, chill, oxygenate my full wort (5.5 gallons).  Pitch 500ml starter (with the equivalent yeast cells of  a 2 liter shaken starter). 

Pretty much the same way that I do all of my starters. I usually start with 800ml of 1.030 wort for 18 hours, crash for 4-6 hours and decant. Add 1 liter of fresh 1.030 wort and back onto the stir plate. 18 hours then crash for 4-6 hours again and decant. Take about half a cup of my boiling wort and let it cool while I brew and use that to mix my slurry up at pitching time. I just finished bottling a Belgian Special Blonde that was 1.060 at pitching time and finished at 1.001. I had a lot a very happy Abbey Ale yeast! Rinsed the yeast after I transferred out of primary and have enough for 3 batches. I think one is destined for a Belgian BIPA and the other two for a Belgian Dubbel.

Mouse  ;D

Back