• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What mash options are available for just batch sparging?

Kaus4984

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been way under on my specific gravity pre-boil every time since I've started using BeerSmith 2.0.  The only thing that has changed from previous batches is the fly sparge step which I have just added into my mash out step.  Well I think that's my issue.  Is there any mash option in BeerSmith 2.0 that does not involve BIAB or fly sparge?  The light, medium, and full body option with batch sparge options only say "batch sparge with 2 steps (x gallons) at 168.0F" but doesn't list a time.  Basically I'm asking how can I remove the fly sparge step in BeerSmith since I'm not set up for it nor do I desire to be set up to fly sparge?

Maybe I am not understanding properly, but why not just go to the pick list on the mash tab  and select one of the single infusion mash options such as:

"Single Infusion. medium body,  batch sparge."

If you have any reason to do so, you  could even modify one of these mash options then rename and save it with your own description for future use and it will then appear in the pick list

Brian.

It does have that option but the instructions just say:

Batch sparge with two steps (1.26 gal, 3.29 gal) of 168.0 F water.

It doesn't specify how long the last sparges are for.  I may be completely missing something though, most definitely new to brewing.

I just explained this in another thread, but here it is:

1.  Complete your mash.
2.  Add 1.26 gal 168F water to your mash tun.  Stir really well to dissolve sugars.
3.  Drain mash tun.
4.  Add 3.29 gal 168F water to your mash tun.  Stir really well to dissolve sugars.
5.  Drain mash tun.

Done.

You don't need to wait after stirring in the new water.  Add. Stir. Drain.  That's it.

You don't need to "go slow" when draining the mash tun.  That is only helpful for FLY sparging.  Open the spigot, and let'er'rip!

I knew it had to be something I was missing!  Thanks!!

Back