• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Force Carbing Beer

cpapkt

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a quick question about force carbing my corney kegs.  I have watched many videos on force carbing beer (connect the CO2, turn up to 30-40 psi and then rock the keg for about 2 minutes) and they seem to have worked.  My Beersmith program says to turn the CO2 to about 12.5 psi and then nothing else.  Is the program telling me to set the regulator to 12.5 psi, connect the CO2 line, rock it for 2 minutes and I'm all set.  Or do I set the regulator, connect the CO2 and let it sit for a few days.  I, like probably many others, am inpatient and want it carbonated as quickly as possible. 

Any guidance here would be helpful.

The carbonation tool in BS2 indicates the temperature and regulator pressure to achieve the desired volumes of CO2 in the beer.  The help page references the online article http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/14/how-to-keg-homebrew-beer/ for more information.

Force carbonating is the process of applying CO2 to the beer under pressure.  This forces CO2 into the beer versus carbonation from yeast and sugar.  In this case, BS2 assumes common force carbonation practice of letting it sit for a week to carbonate. 

You can speed up the process by rocking, rolling or shaking the keg.  Experts say this affects the beer.  having done all these, I agree.  I can drink it sooner but it really takes about a week for the carbonation to be dissolved well.

Back