• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

WLP500 or Wyeast 1214

Stephenish

Apprentice
Reaction score
Will these yeast critters eat corn sugar and make it taste good?

I am developing a recipe with the following malts/sugars:
6 lbs. Pilsner malt extract
1 lb. DME
1 lb. Candi sugar D-90
1 lb. corn sugar
(The primary ingredients of Northern Brewer's Saison de Noel)

I am in the process of deciding what specialty grains and hops to add.

My ultimate goal is to have something that tastes like Chimay Blue. I doubt this recipe will get there, though.

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

Third recipe down the page...............looks like you need some Caramunich for color and flavor.

Great link, I'll be brewing that recipe. Thank you. I downloaded a few more also. Looks good.

Why does the recipe call for crashing the temperature of the secondary to 35F for 1 week? Do I have to do this? What would happen if I did not crash the temps?

My guess would be to drop as much yeast as possible for clarity, and perhaps to reduce the amount of yeast going into bottles or the keg.  Some Belgian yeasts are not good at dropping out of suspension.

I'm thinking I could put the carboy into the cooler with ice (if it will fit). Are there any other methods for crashing the temps or for fining the beer for clarification purposes?

Back