• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain mill speed

I really don't see why speed matters. I'd say keep going faster until you don't see a difference in crush speed, then back it off %25. Other than that it would depend on the manufacturer (perhaps the bearings are only rated up to a certain speed).

Thanks.  I am turning my Monster mill at 240 rpm with my PowerGrinder.org 1/2 hp motor which has a 7.5:1 reduction.  Monster recommends a rpm of roughly 200 rpm, but I don't know if their recommendation has to do with mechanical capacity (bearing max speed) or grain crushing efficiency.  If you have had good luck with grinding speeds of over 240 rpm, I won't worry about 240 rpm being too fast.  Thanks again for the reply.

I have found speed does matter.  I set the drill revs to as fast as it takes to turn the rollers.  I have found that my mash and lauter eff are better doing it that way.  I'm currently getting around 80-85% brewhouse efficiency.

Mark

sdsmith4u said:
Thanks.  I am turning my Monster mill at 240 rpm with my PowerGrinder.org 1/2 hp motor which has a 7.5:1 reduction.  Monster recommends a rpm of roughly 200 rpm, but I don't know if their recommendation has to do with mechanical capacity (bearing max speed) or grain crushing efficiency.  If you have had good luck with grinding speeds of over 240 rpm, I won't worry about 240 rpm being too fast.  Thanks again for the reply.

Besides being a homebrewer, I'm also the Service Engineering Representative for Timken (bearings) here in the pacific nw.  This probably has ball bearings in it.  240 rpm is childs play for a ball bearing.  A ball bearing can easily handle speeds of 2000+ rpm.  240 rpm is considered a slow speed environmnet for a ball bearing. 

If you double the speed of a bearing, you cut the bearing life in half.  If you double the load on a bearing you cut the life by 90%.  So, increasing the speed of this machine, won't have a noticeable affect on the bearings.  You'll crush just as much grain with it at high speeds as low.  You'll just crush it faster at 240 rpm.  If you increase the crush enough, you might start causing issues with the bearings, but I doubt it.  It's crushing grain, not rolling out hot steel.

Run it as fast as you want to run it.  You'll be just fine!

Scott Ickes said:
Besides being a homebrewer, I'm also the Service Engineering Representative for Timken (bearings) here in the pacific nw. 

Interesting....We have a warehousing facility that houses Timken Products and direct ships them just down the road from where I work.

Years ago when I motorized my mill the recommendation was 300RPM. My gear motor runs at 325RPM and have had no problems with efficiency or my BarleyCrusher.

Mike

Mtnmangh said:
Scott Ickes said:
Besides being a homebrewer, I'm also the Service Engineering Representative for Timken (bearings) here in the pacific nw. 

Interesting....We have a warehousing facility that houses Timken Products and direct ships them just down the road from where I work.

Let me guess.  Crossville.

Scott Ickes said:
Mtnmangh said:
Scott Ickes said:

Let me guess.  Crossville.

That's where I be.... ;)

Barley Crusher states up to 500 RPM for their crushers.  I run mine with a mounted low speed drill and have never had any issues.

Back