Author Topic: Bittering Units/Gravity unit ratio  (Read 6717 times)

Offline barleypopmaker

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • I know you drank the beer, but did you experience!
    • Barleypopmaker's Beer Blog
Bittering Units/Gravity unit ratio
« on: September 26, 2006, 05:55:33 PM »
I know it is a super easy thing to do yourself, but I like to have everything on on page if I can. I would like to see a Bittering Unity to Gravity Unit ratio box by the Estimated SG, OG, SRM, IBU area. That would be just one more little tool to help formulate a recipe and find a close balance you are looking for.
-Jason Johnson

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Bittering Units/Gravity unit ratio
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »
Thanks,
  I'm not entirely familiar with this measure.  Do you divide IBUs by the specific gravity?  In what units?  Original or final gravity?  Just wondering...

I probably would not add it to the direct recipe sheet since there is no space, but I could add it as a tag for report templates so you can view it or print it on custom reports if needed.

Cheers!
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Adrie

Re: Bittering Units/Gravity unit ratio
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 02:25:20 AM »
You can find it in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. Its the IBU's divided by the original gravity points. So if you have a beer with an OG of 1.060 and a bitterness of 30 IBU, your BU/GU is 30/60 = 0.5. I use it all the time when I formulate a recipe.

Some will say that the final gravity also is a part of the perceived bitterness. And it is. There are therefore other formulas that incorporate the FG as well:

IBU /  (OGU - FGU) is one and
(0.8 * IBU) / (0.82 * OGU - 0.18 * FGU) is another

(OGU = original gravity units, FGU = final gravity units)