• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2.2 - unfermentables

mm658

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I see the "Not Fermentable" checkbox that has been added, but when I check it and add a non-fermentable ingredient to a recipe, the FG does not increase at the same rate as the OG, and it raises my estimated ABV %.  If I play around with increasing/decreasing the amount of the ingredient, the same occurs. It still appears to be applying the potential SG of the ingredient to the recipe. 
Shouldn't the OG and FG increase by the same amount when adding a non-fermentable ingredient, and the %ABV remain the same, if not decrease?
Just want to make sure I'm understanding how the Not Fermentable checkbox works.  Thanks.

Hi,
  When you add a non-fermentable it will increase both the OG and FG, but not by the same amount since all of the other ingredients in the recipe get attenuated by the yeast (sugars get attenuated a bit more, malts/grains a bit less).  BeerSmith 2.2 actually goes ingredient by ingredient and calculates the appropriate attenuation for the item to get to the FG estimate now.

However, the ABV is simply a function of OG and FG (you can look up the equation online - it is simple), so it will change with the OG and FG values directly.

Brad

NEVER MIND!  I figured out the issue and it is on my end. 

In the past, I had created an ingredient for Lactose, but with it defined as an 'Adjunct' rather than 'Sugar', as a means of dealing with the fact that earlier versions did not handle the possibility of a non-fermentable sugar.  It was with this rigged-up ingredient that I was doing my initial testing.

Now that I've fixed my lactose ingredient, I can see that the gravities and ABV are working exactly as I would expect. 

Thanks for the prompt response!

I am using Beersmith 2.2. It seems that the "Not Fermentable" check box only affects the final gravity (the way I think is should) is when the Type is set to Extract or Sugar.

Why does it not work when the type is set to Grain. I have some crystal and roasted malts that will not have any fermentables and I would like a better estimate of my final gravity.

Thanks.

Jimmy Orkin said:
I am using Beersmith 2.2. It seems that the "Not Fermentable" check box only affects the final gravity (the way I think is should) is when the Type is set to Extract or Sugar.

Why does it not work when the type is set to Grain. I have some crystal and roasted malts that will not have any fermentables and I would like a better estimate of my final gravity.

Thanks.

+1. Marking a grain as unfermentable doesn't seem to do anything.

All my recipes have differences of a few tenths in estimated FG and ABV between version 2.1 and the current.

Just to see if this is because Brad has fixed the carapils/dextrine fermentation, I changed my mashed carapils to 'unfermentable' (but nothing changed as stated by OP since it had been set as 'grain', so ...) then changed it to 'sugar'. my SG went up a few tenths higher than before, my FG  substantially higher and the abv lower - theoretically all in the right direction but not yet matching up to the old numbers. Then, resetting it as fermentable sugar, I do match my earlier FG (still with the OG still a few points higher), and the abv three tenths different from version 2.1.

Is this happening to you as well? 
Can anyone getting this result explain what has changed in BS 2.2 to cause this?

Back