• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is there a way to account for kettle carmelization in v 2.2?

yso191

Brewer
Reaction score
My next brew will be a Scottish Ale.  I am going to take a gallon of the first runnings to caramelize in a separate pot, reducing the total volume to a quart.  I am relying on this to get most of my color.  Is there a way in BeerSmith to account for this on the color scale slider? Right now it is sitting at 7.3 SRM - way under style.

Thanks, Steve

I don't think so. It'd be nice, but the issue is very complex.

What you're doing is essentially making your own extract that you will then rehydrate with more wort. Yet, the "sugar" contribution is zero because you've already accounted for that in the grain bill.

In your recipe, you can account for this with an ingredient line item. What you can create is a grain ingredient that contributes only color, not gravity. This would account for your color shift, while not changing your anticipated gravity.

I played around with it and came up with this off the cuff ingredient I called "Maillard's Touch." It changed color, but did not seem to effect gravity or efficiency calculations when I tried it as high as 20% of a grist.

A quart is about 2 lbs, so I used that as a model and that changed a 6.5 SRM to about 21. It's a WAG on my part, but fits what I think should happen.

With a little experience, you can hone the color to exactly what you experience by just changing the ingredient color.

Attachments

• Maillard's Touch.bsmx
    1.3 KB · Views: 222
Cool stuff Brewfun!

Back