Author Topic: Adding graham cracker as an ingredient  (Read 23882 times)

Offline Scott Ickes

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
Re: Adding graham cracker as an ingredient
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what all of you are saying about honey and sweetness.  It's been my experience that honey doesn't add sweetness once it's fermented.  It seems to me that because it is so fermentable, that all of the sweetness is gone and you're left with dryness, as the honey is converted to almost all alcohol.  For a mead that isn't carbonated, I can see using honey to back sweeten it, since you can stop the fermentation, like you can with a wine and then add honey back to get a real honey flavor in there, since the yeast have been stopped dead by metabisulfate and potasium sorbate.  But if you try to back sweeten beer this way with honey, bottle conditioning goes out the window, since there isn't viable yeast left anymore to allow for carbonation. 

Is it safe for me to assume that if you're back sweetening with honey, that you're kegging and force carbonating?
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 09:22:07 AM »
Good stuff, guys. It will be interesting to see how these beers turn out. I'm going to go 2-row pale, Munich 10, Carabrown, either biscuit and/or Special Roast, a bit of the honey malt and some mid-caramel. I'll also add some molasses to the end of the boil and some cinnamon in secondary. Bittering hops--minimal hop flavor--but go with something spicy. Shoot for an amber or light brown, in the mid-1.050s, medium to full body. I'm thinking maybe a British yeast, but will probably just default to US-05.

Now I'm thirsty AND hungry!

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
Lactose is another way to add just a touch of residual sweetness.  You get some body out of it, too.  That might be good with what could be considered a "desert" beer. 

Yeast selection is a third.  A low attenuative yeast, such as one of the english strains could leave you with a few extra points of residual maltose.  You can control the "fruity" esters through fermentation temps.  WPL002 at 64F or so.  You can also overpitch a little to keep the growth down and further limit ester production.  Or, WLP007 is less fruity that 002...but its a little MORE attenuative. 

You could also play with a touch of kettle carmelization. 
R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

KernelCrush

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 06:07:15 PM »
I tried last night to caramelize the victory, carabrown, and added some cinnamon this morning.  Getting closer.  Wish I had the rest of the ingredients.

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
I'm going to do a decoction, probably as a mash out. Quite enjoying the results on my MO SMaSH, having done this. Lightly toasting some of the base malt might be helpful, too. I might toss in some wheat for giggles...

I'm all dry yeast, so maybe I'll use S-04 instead of US-05. I got a whole bunch of S-33 for peanuts, so maybe I'll try that--sort of waiting to see the results of an experimental beer I did last weekend with it first.

So many choices!

KernelCrush

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 06:05:42 AM »
I cringe to think of this as a dessert beer even though sweetness is needed and it could go that way.  I am going for more of a 'what was that?' aftertaste.  Thanks for the yeast tips.  I will use 002.
I was thinking about what decocting would do too, but am going just single infusion for now.  We will have to trade bottles if they turn out somewhat edible.

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
It's homemade beer; short of it turning into reactor cooling water, it'll be edible! I'm all about a brew swap--we'll work that out once the goods are ready.

We should probably move this over to the recipes forum (as we've deviated just a touch from the original intent of this thread), but here's my thinking:

Recipe: Graham Cracker Ale (real original name, eh?)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.98 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.38 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 2.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 16.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
2 lbs 12.0 oz         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM)           Grain         1        49.7 %       
1 lbs                 Carabrown (55.0 SRM)                     Grain         2        18.1 %       
8.0 oz                Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM)           Grain         3        9.0 %         
8.0 oz                Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)      Grain         4        9.0 %         
6.0 oz                Special Roast (Briess) (50.0 SRM)        Grain         5        6.8 %         
4.0 oz                Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                    Grain         6        4.5 %         
2.5 oz                Molasses (80.0 SRM)                      Sugar         7        2.8 %         
0.33 oz               Challenger [7.60 %] - Boil 45.0 min      Hop           8        14.6 IBUs     
0.33 oz               Challenger [7.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop           9        12.3 IBUs     
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        10       -             
0.33 oz               Challenger [7.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min      Hop           11       7.9 IBUs     
0.50 Items            Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins)           Spice         12       -             
1.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         13       -             

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body, Decoction Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5 lbs 8.5 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 17.49 qt of water at 158.3 F        152.0 F       60 min       
Mash Out          Decoct 5.11 qt of mash and boil it      168.0 F       10 min       

I'm shooting for a substantial malt backbone that the specialties can run around on. Trying to give the Carabrown a wide berth. Thought about adding some (more) caramel malt, but I think I'll let the honey malt do the sweet talkin. I've not used molasses before; does the usage look like enough to get it noticed without it stomping around too much? Can't wait to make this one...

KernelCrush

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 05:50:03 AM »
True,  I am under no illusions of answering the question in the OP.  Thanks homebrewinco for the idea.

Offline homebrewinco

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »
True,  I am under no illusions of answering the question in the OP.  Thanks homebrewinco for the idea.

Your welcome.  I've seen recipes for stouts and porters and thought it would be a great marriage.  Note, Denver Beer Co. is known for a great version of this.  I can wait to try it.

As for my beer, here is the recipe.  I just racked it into the keg after 1.5 weeks of primary.  I get a subtle taste the graham cracker with a malty bite.  The coffee/chocolate notes come next and then aromatic hops.  I would change the cascade at flame out to .25 oz as the more you sip, the more hops you get.  It'll be interesting once under pressure how the beer changes.  Initial OG was 1.065 and finished out at 1.010.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 27.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1 lbs 12.8 oz         Graham Cracker (3.0 SRM)                 Adjunct       1        10.4 %       
1 lbs                 Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM)            Adjunct       2        5.8 %         
8 lbs 8.0 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         3        49.1 %       
3 lbs 8.0 oz          Carabrown (55.0 SRM)                     Grain         4        20.2 %       
1 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         5        5.8 %         
8.0 oz                Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)               Grain         6        2.9 %         
1 lbs                 Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM)             Sugar         7        5.8 %         
1.00 oz               Willamette [5.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           8        12.8 IBUs     
0.75 oz               Northern Brewer [9.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           9        18.6 IBUs     
0.75 oz               Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           10       0.0 IBUs     
2.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast         11       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 4.8 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 20.38 qt of water at 163.7 F        152.0 F       60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 5 steps (Drain mash tun , 1.04gal, 1.04gal, 1.04gal, 1.04gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Add 2 boxes (14.4 oz each) of graham cracker to mash crushed finely.

Offline homebrewinco

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
Forgot to mention, I would definitely add a vanilla and cinnamon stick into secondary in my second batch just to bring out the flavors you would expect in the cracker.

KernelCrush

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
Glad to see your getting the flavor to come thru. I think I will be eating a graham cracker while drinking one to ensure success.

Offline makubex

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
Forgot to mention, I would definitely add a vanilla and cinnamon stick into secondary in my second batch just to bring out the flavors you would expect in the cracker.

Greetings!  I was hoping you could provide an update as to how this turned out with a bit of age.  I'm currently researching various ways of incorporating graham cracker flavor into a beer, and hoping to determine what is effective and what isn't.

Thanks!

modification