Author Topic: Is banana smell from high temps strong?  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Willards

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Sanitized dog hair in every bottle!
Is banana smell from high temps strong?
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »
I am making the Northern Brewer Nut Brown Ale kit, and I pitched at 73 degrees with the Nottingham dry yeast it came with.  Fermentation got a slow start, but it was steadily chugging away after 12 hours.  I noticed my fermometer read 70 degrees for the first 12 or so hours of fermentation, then lowered to 66 by the next day.  I've heard that temperatures of 70+ can give off a banana flavor.  I can't tell if the smell from the airlock is banana or just generally sweet.

Would it be a strong banana flavor if the temperature was too high? And should the smell from the airlock be somewhat fruity for a malt-forward brown ale with English yeast?

Thanks in advance!
Bottled: Caramel Apfelwein, Imperial Red Ale, Saison du Vin, Pumpkin Pecan Porter
Secondary:
Primary: Mint Chocolate Brown Ale

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Is banana smell from high temps strong?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:02:34 AM »
The only time I ever had banana flavors was when the fermentation got up to 75.  At 70 you should be fine.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Willards

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
I'm mostly used to using us-04 and us-05, which have given me a hoppy smell from the airlock, even when making malty brews.  Are English ale yeasts like Notty supposed to have a fruity aroma from the airlock?
Bottled: Caramel Apfelwein, Imperial Red Ale, Saison du Vin, Pumpkin Pecan Porter
Secondary:

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
Are English ale yeasts like Notty supposed to have a fruity aroma from the airlock?

I have no idea.  The lagers I've been making with Saflager S-23 smell terrible when fermenting.  But that's normal.  Similarly when I made a hefe with a wheat yeast it also smelled terrible, right down to the moment it went into a keg. But it tasted great.

At 70 you're not going to get a strong banana flavor. At 73 possibly.  At 75 probably. At 78 for sure. At 70? I wouldn't worry about it.

"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 03:58:08 PM »
Nottingham is pretty clean for an ale yeast, but I usually keep it at 63/64F.  Its range is 57 to 70F, so you're probably fine. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:37:23 PM by MaltLicker »

Offline Willards

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:46:07 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance!  I suppose I'll let it do its thing.
Secondary:

modification