• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Actual FG rather than calculated FG

DennisUSA

Apprentice
Reaction score
My recipe summary (both in the cloud and saved locally) do not reflect actual OGs, FGs or ABVs, rather they reflect calculated values. I find this is misleading as the beer does not always match what I created.  If the user never inputs  measured values, this approach would makes sense as these would be the only values available.  But could Beersmith be reprogrammed to default to actual measured OG, FG and ABV when the user inputs those values?  Thanks

What do you mean by "default to actual measured OG, FG and ABV"?  Where? In the forms?

BeerSmith takes your actual OG & FG readings to calculate actual efficiency (mash + brew house), alcohol (volume and weight) and other standards.  It also predicts, based on what you tell it.

Various parameters can be recorded, without having to record over them.

CLARIFICATION:-  I forgot to clarify my posting pertained to the Mobile version of Beersmith - apologies.  So let me try again with a bit more context......

My brews almost always attenuate significantly more than the calculated values of Beersmith, but by entering "measured FG" in the Windows version of Beersmith I could still obtain accurate ABVs - very helpful in designing recipes.  Although I can still enter "measured FG" in the mobile app, as far as I can tell it will not provide me with the corresponding ABV, so I was wondering whether the same ABV calc could be incorporated into the app, or even better, if it would allw for calibration of attenuation.

The other point about recipes shared on Brewsmith showing ABV from measured FG, rather than calculated FG, I can see both ways.  But I will still say it looks rather odd to me when I share my APA recipe on Brewsmith and it shows a 4.9% ABV when in reality it was around 5.5%.

Thanks for an awesome app, Brad, it just keeps getting better.

Hi,

The mobile app allows you to enter in measured values Brewing Session Data (located under the Timer tab), which if you are working on a recipe stored in you cloud folder is available from the desktop app with the additional fields you are looking for.  From the mobile app, you are right, under the View tab of the recipe the ABV is calculated based on design time of the recipe (and it does not show you ABV based on measured values).

One thing that is available on the mobile app is % Alcohol and Attenuation Tool which you can use to see what your ABV will be.

I find that using both the mobile and desktop versions together provide a great set of tools.  I use the desktop to design, manage inventory, create versions, etc.  And the mobile app is my brew day tool where I have the timers and record my findings (which I later analyze via the desktop).

-Dan

Brad

Thank you for the prompt reply and for confirming my suspicions.  I have retired my XP computer and acquired a Chromebook, like millions of others have begun to do. As a result, combining my computer program with my android app is no longer an option. My suspicion is that other Beersmith fans like myself will also find themselves in the same place and will rely more and more on the Mobile App version.  I realize I might be an outlier in this matter and that it is not realistic to expect full features in the mobile app or a version that will run on chromebooks quite yet, but after all, this forum is for suggestions and queries.  And I can always remain hopeful.  Either way I am sticking with Beersmith and remain a fan of the product.

Back