• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Wheat, Strange (maybe not) fermentation

mporter389

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys, about a week ago I brewed my first hefeweisen (fourth batch altogether, new to the whole brew thing,) and it is just behaving differently enough from the others to cause me some concern. Obviously different yeasts behave differently, so I'm assuming that's all that is going on here, however some confirmation would be very much appreciated. The beer built a healthy krausen after 12 hours or so, but unlike any of my other beers, the krausen remains after a full week in the primary. The part that concerns me is just the look of the krausen, rather than looking like very bubbly beer, it basically looks like a bubbled up yeast cake. Probably nothing to be concerned about, but some assurance would be much appreciated. I used Wyeast weihenstephan (spelling?), anyone out there used this yeast and had similar results? Thanks a million for all your help in my first few brews guys!
                -Mitch

It looks like a bubbled up yeast cake because that's exactly what it is. Before long it will fall, but don't expect it to get as clear as other brews you've made.  Wheat yeast stays somewhat cloudy. Also, don't worry if it smells bad. I did a hefe recently and it smelled terrible. So bad I thought something was wrong with it when I transferred it into the keg. But it tasted great.

Sounds like you used a true top cropping yeast strain.  With those I allow at least a 1/3 of head space.  A lot of wheat strains give off a stanky odor due to sulphur which as mentioned above is normal.

Mark

merfizle said:
Sounds like you used a true top cropping yeast strain.  With those I allow at least a 1/3 of head space.  A lot of wheat strains give off a stanky odor due to sulphur which as mentioned above is normal.

Same approach and same experience!

@ mporter389, no worries!

R, Slurk

Back