• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.

Will you brew this?

• Total voters
ya I have my grain picked out but going to sleep on it and call it a night. as far as the otter malt go's that's the one we needed to know about to go forward. I'll make my choice when I get the go-ahead.

I must apologize.  I read a reply and thought I was up next.  I didn't look back at the actual oder and went out of turn. 

I rescind my Munich Malt selection.  It was actually "All Grain's" turn.

So far we officially have:
Robust Porter selected
10 lbs of Maris Otter base malt selected

All Grain:
Please make your selection for the first specialty malt.  Your selection may or may not change what I do after you.  This just got real interesting for me!

Once again, my apologies.

I'm sorry Scott, that was my fault. I thought you were next at the time I posted that.

I was wondering, perhaps, if we could talk a little more about the adjunct clause you mentioned.
Say all grain chooses Munich malt and you decide to go with chocolate malt for color and flavor additions. I could either chose something like crystal 60* because I put that in every porter I've brewed thus far, or I could say let's add half pound of lactose sugar to really add a layer of complexion.

These are hypotheticals and depend of course on your selections, but I thought i would ask the group for their opinions.

Brewmex41 said:
I'm sorry Scott, that was my fault. I thought you were next at the time I posted that.

I was wondering, perhaps, if we could talk a little more about the adjunct clause you mentioned.
Say all grain chooses Munich malt and you decide to go with chocolate malt for color and flavor additions. I could either chose something like crystal 60* because I put that in every porter I've brewed thus far, or I could say let's add half pound of lactose sugar to really add a layer of complexion.

These are hypotheticals and depend of course on your selections, but I thought i would ask the group for their opinions.

Let's not get ahead.  Let all grain make his selection.  We'll see where that leads.  Then I'll make my selection and we'll see where that leads.  One step at a time.

So much excitement with the collaboration that there is some gun jumping going on :)

Since this is becoming a rather large thread, can we have a post after each selection is approved that shows the running total so that we don't have to venture back into the thread to find out what is included?  Something big and bold like (with nothing else in the post, so that it is easy to spot):

Running Total
!0 pounds Maris Otter

while the coffee is clearing my head, I started to think that coffee looks like porter, but never got the coffee beer thing.
I see coffee malts out there that are used in porters a lot and I do not know enough about them to use as my selection so I'm going to play it safe for my first porter and choose  "English Chocolate Malt" 3/4 to a # or so will do. all right let the comments roll. hey this is fun!

+1 on the English Chocolate Malt.  Nice color with a mild roast flavor.

Sounds good; pretty standard porter ingredient. Depending on how big the grain bill gets, and what sort of other malts make it into the recipe, we may need a solid pound of it to get the character to come through. We're talking "robust" porter here :)

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been inputting got side tracked by "life". I'm a noob when comes to the porter style but I'll try and keep up.

I've yet to use MO so I'm ALL for it. Going to "bone up" on all grain's suggestion of english chocolate malt and post back later.

I have to head out to visit a customer for my "real" job.  I'll comment later when I get back.  Seems like a solid choice on the surface of it though.  I used a pound of pale chocolate malt in my last porter.

Scott Ickes said:
Any other comments or suggestions on the english chocolate malt?

+1 on the english choco malt, has a smooth roast character that should do nice! 

As an outsider from the group, and I don't mean to overstep, but you may want to monitor your DP as you go forward.  Published sources list MO at 50-120 DP.  Depends on your maltster. 

KernelCrush said:
As an outsider from the group, and I don't mean to overstep, but you may want to monitor your DP as you go forward.  Published sources list MO at 50-120 DP.  Depends on your maltster.

Would a bit of wheat malt help, with a thinner longer mash time? I know wheat malt is not used alot in porters but a small amount may help?

I think any modern MO has more than enough DP to take care of what we're making here.

Is there a specific maltster/roast level for the chocolate malt? There are some variances depending on the source.

Simpsons Chocolate Malt was the only producer of english chocolate malt I could find.

There should be many more options than that--not only is there Simpsons, but also Fawcett, Crisp, Muntons, Bairds, and probably some others I'm not thinking of. These range from ~225L up to (and I'm not sure if I believe this, but it's what the Interwebs says) 600L. There are pale chocolate, "plain" chocolate, and dark chocolate varieties.

Point is, there is a lot of variability out there that could result in two rather different beers, all things being equal.

I was thinking about a chocolate malt that is between 300 400L . don't know if there will be substantial differences between maltsters but we should name one. I can get  Simpsons  for sure.  any input is welcome . 

Back