• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 3

terragady

Apprentice
Joined
Oct 26, 2015
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hi are there any plans for bs3? Or you will just upgrade version 2 for now? Will we require new license for new version?
 

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
529
Reaction score
0
terragady said:
Hi are there any plans for bs3? Or you will just upgrade version 2 for now? Will we require new license for new version?

Probably not
 

Oginme

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Mar 16, 2013
Messages
3,156
Reaction score
1
Location
New Hampshire, US
Generally, Brad has expressed the policy that program fixes, minor changes and additions would be an extension of the 2.x family and upgrades would be available for free.  Large additions, rewrites and major GUI improvements would be the start of a 3.x version and would require the repurchasing of the software license.

Brad has made some comments about a rewrite, but I don't know the time schedule yet.  I would guess that it would be a while if there are major changes which would require significant beta testing before it was released.
 

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
529
Reaction score
0
Oginme said:
Generally, Brad has expressed the policy that program fixes, minor changes and additions would be an extension of the 2.x family and upgrades would be available for free.  Large additions, rewrites and major GUI improvements would be the start of a 3.x version and would require the repurchasing of the software license.

Brad has made some comments about a rewrite, but I don't know the time schedule yet.  I would guess that it would be a while if there are major changes which would require significant beta testing before it was released.

I never support companies that don't give me free access to a major release if I pay say for example $ 200 for the prior version it's a joke.
 
K

KellerBrauer

I recall an email correspondence I had with Brad a couple years ago and if I understood what he was saying, it sounded like he was leaning toward the possibility of a web based application.  Personally, I would prefer a personal machine based system.  But if that?s the direction this software goes, so be it. 

This software has come a long way just in the couple years I?ve been using it.  I can?t imagine how some of the long-time users must feel.
 

Baron Von MunchKrausen

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
May 7, 2014
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
KellerBrauer said:
This software has come a long way just in the couple years I?ve been using it.  I can?t imagine how some of the long-time users must feel.

Back in the day I casually tinkered with some other brewing software that didn't come close to Beersmith.
I confess I don't even use many of the features of BS, but once you get your profiles and BH efficiency dialed in, there's no comparison. I can't imagine using anything else.
In my perfect world, it would be nice to have BS integrated with Bru'n water but I don't see that as a practical or viable option. I guess I can live with a separate spreadsheet of water management.
 

Oginme

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Mar 16, 2013
Messages
3,156
Reaction score
1
Location
New Hampshire, US
Baron,

I agree.  It's almost a ho-hum brewing day around here.  I almost wish sometimes for missing a volume or gravity readings to bring some excitement back in at times.

Seriously though, it is the best $21 spent on brewing.  If Brad announces a V3.x coming out tomorrow, I'd line up for it. 
 

uSlackr

Apprentice
Joined
Feb 19, 2013
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Eastern PA
Ck27 said:
I never support companies that don't give me free access to a major release if I pay say for example $ 200 for the prior version it's a joke.

First, BeerSmith costs ~$20, so...

Second, when you pay $200 they often charge 10%/yr for "support"

Brad's a small business - I'll pay for any major upgrades.
 

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
529
Reaction score
0
uSlackr said:
Ck27 said:
I never support companies that don't give me free access to a major release if I pay say for example $ 200 for the prior version it's a joke.

First, BeerSmith costs ~$20, so...

Second, when you pay $200 they often charge 10%/yr for "support"

Brad's a small business - I'll pay for any major upgrades.

Still i love the software, but i dont think i would pay for it again if i had to, i would just use the old version but thats just me, Brads been helpful, very much so, and because of that i can safely say beersmith is the best software for brewing.
 

BOB357

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Dec 17, 2016
Messages
729
Reaction score
5
Location
Fallon, NV
[/quote]

Still i love the software, but i dont think i would pay for it again if i had to, i would just use the old version but thats just me, Brads been helpful, very much so, and because of that i can safely say beersmith is the best software for brewing.
[/quote]

Continuing to use an earlier version is an alternative. Personally, if the cost of upgrading to a newer version was even close to what BS2 cost, I wouldn't bat an eye before purchasing. My wife and I live on social security, so we are very value conscience. BeerSmith has saved me what it cost many times over.
 

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
529
Reaction score
0

Still i love the software, but i dont think i would pay for it again if i had to, i would just use the old version but thats just me, Brads been helpful, very much so, and because of that i can safely say beersmith is the best software for brewing.
[/quote]

Continuing to use an earlier version is an alternative. Personally, if the cost of upgrading to a newer version was even close to what BS2 cost, I wouldn't bat an eye before purchasing. My wife and I live on social security, so we are very value conscience. BeerSmith has saved me what it cost many times over.
[/quote]
Its saved me from getting too much grains like 200000000 times over.
 

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Dec 28, 2011
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Hey Brad,

Anything to wet our whistle re: Features, Functionality or version upgrades?

Thirsty supporters would love to hear from you

Thanks, Rick
 

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Dec 28, 2011
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
So are we giving up on the next version

I posted this 3 months ago and not a single reply since

Hey Brad...  Is this thing on...can you hear me now... :-\

Rick
 

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Apr 5, 2003
Messages
5,706
Reaction score
9
Location
Virginia
Yes I've been working on a the next release.  I just started beta testing with a limited set of testers so it does exist. 

I'll release the details before Homebrewcon in June, but I think most people will be happy with the upcoming changes.
 

Brorsboel Bryghus

New Forum Member
Joined
May 19, 2018
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
An online / browser version was mentioned above. That would be so nice. Then I wouldnt have to buy a new pc, but could use my chromebook with a full version? Wow, would love it, and then Id buy a Beersmith-version.
 

lmrafael

New Forum Member
Joined
May 28, 2018
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
BeerSmith said:
Yes I've been working on a the next release.  I just started beta testing with a limited set of testers so it does exist. 

I'll release the details before Homebrewcon in June, but I think most people will be happy with the upcoming changes.

Fingers crossed for Homebrewcon!

I was managing to use only the Android version. The need for better usage made me download the PC version trial. Loved it. Am going to buy it. Question: should I wait for the BS 3? Or can I buy it now, and get the update (or need to pay only the difference, if the new version has a higher price range)?

Thanks for the marvelous work!!
 

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Apr 5, 2003
Messages
5,706
Reaction score
9
Location
Virginia
Announcement coming on the blog today - preorder opens in the next few days...
  http://beersmith.com/blog

Brad
 

DownstairsBrewing

Apprentice
Joined
Apr 29, 2018
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I just went to upgrade my trial version, and saw the Beersmith 3 notice.  I am not particularly stuck to the idea of using Beersmith 2 - should I just preorder Beersmith 3 and wait a couple of weeks?
 

brewfun

Grandmaster Brewer
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
2,305
Reaction score
0
Location
Ventura, CA
DownstairsBrewing said:
I just went to upgrade my trial version, and saw the Beersmith 3 notice.  I am not particularly stuck to the idea of using Beersmith 2 - should I just preorder Beersmith 3 and wait a couple of weeks?

It looks like you can activate V2 and expect an upgrade when it's released.

From the blog:

Recent BeerSmith 2 Purchasers: If you bought BeerSmith 2 after 15 October 2017 you can use this link https://beersmithrecipes.com/upgrade2 to get a free 12 month Gold membership. Log in and enter your activation key (from Help->Activate in BeerSmith 2) and the system will apply install your BeerSmith 3 license in your account.
 
Top