• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

It's ALPHA brew day...my first batch!

I would have to scoop off the thick kraeusen...had about 2 inches of that on top.

It wasn't ready. Don't worry, you didn't ruin it. Next time wait for the kraeusen to fall out before you rack it. The yeast doesn't follow the schedule on a piece of paper. That's just a guideline.  I've had ales that were ready to rack in four days, and others took two weeks.

Maine Homebrewer said:
I would have to scoop off the thick kraeusen...had about 2 inches of that on top.

It wasn't ready. Don't worry, you didn't ruin it. Next time wait for the kraeusen to fall out before you rack it. The yeast doesn't follow the schedule on a piece of paper. That's just a guideline.  I've had ales that were ready to rack in four days, and others took two weeks.
So, THAT'S why some folks use a carboy for the primary! :eek: ARGH! My wife is gonna kill me when I drag one of those home!

ihikeut said:
That is the exact clamp I'm referring to.
Thanks...pictures help. Speaking of pictures...this is what I am seeing here at home.
IMG_6259.jpg

As you can see, I am NOT looking at a full carboy. I did a full boil, but I think the beersmith didn't have the calculations for trub loss and stuff. Does the volume look Okay to you guys? I know it seems dark too, I think it's because of the wheat DME and the 1 lb. of flaked wheat I steeped. I also noticed there is already 1" of trub, and it has only been 2 days since I racked...all on account of not knowing what I am doing
You know, when they advertise the beer making kits, they make it sound as simple as mixing kool-aid. But I am finding out there is a little more to it than that.
But with that being said, I think I'll have plenty of yeast to try my hands at the "yeast washing" thing.
IMG_6260.jpg

Well, it's been 1 week since racing the beer to the secondary...and I finally took a peak at it. Um, it hasn't changed much at all. The krauesen has settled off of the top, but other than that, it looks almost EXACTLY the same. The thermometer on the side still says 63*...just like in the photo. The Belgian Wit yeast I used said it will be active in a range of 62*-75*, but I am wondering if it still may be too low.

Okay, I put a milk crate under the carboy yesterday, moving it as carefully as I could. I think it may have helped a little. The temp is at 64*, creeping towards 65* and there is a small amount of activity in the airlock now...yesterday there was none. I am getting 1 bubble every 90 seconds. This leads me to believe my suspicions of a cold carboy were correct.
I am thinking about getting a electric heat pad to set it on, in hopes of keeping the temp near 70*.
Thinking of using a heat pad like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Conair-HP01RBRR-Moist-Heating-Pad/dp/B000F54AOW/ref=sr_1_9?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1362396999&sr=1-9&keywords=heat+pad

in conjunction with a timer like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-DT620-Indoor-Digital-Plug-In/dp/B004TGO6RY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1362396722&sr=8-10&keywords=outlet+timer

I am thinking if I program it to turn on for an 1/2 hour then off for a few, it may be enough to get my carboy near 70*.
Anyone still following the thread have any thoughts?

I would use a sterile wine thief,  or large straw and remove a sample and test the gravity. Check it again in two day, if it close to the same gravity, start lowering the temp to see if it starts to clears. Make sure that you sterilize the top of the carboy and any thing the contacts the beer. 

Your temps are less crucial at the end of your aging/fermentation. If anything once you get it into the secondary colder is better it helps the yeast drop out. And I agree with MH... Patience.

I understand what your both saying...but remember I racked a little too early, so some residual fermentation was needed(I think :-\)
Also, hoping to start my second batch this weekend. So if temp is a little low in my closet, I want to get it corrected. Plus I'll be needing that carboy in a few weeks too. ;D

Yes, 68-69F may help it finish out.  Also try rousing the yeast to get maximum cells up in contact with the wort.  Safest way might be a tennis ball under the carboy and slowly roll it around while it's standing uneven. 

I use a lazy susan ball-bearing and it works great.  $5 at a wood craft store.  When the yeast starting slowing down, I spin them back up to help attenuation.

http://blueribbonbrews.com/photos/equipment/  pic #19

Seriously dude, leave it alone. It's your first batch. You racked early. That's fine. Don't do it again.

Now you wait. You wait until the yeast has nothing left to eat and falls out of the brew. It will become both darker and clearer. Soon you will see the surface of the yeast cake. Let us know when that happens.  Take a picture.

Maine Homebrewer said:
Seriously dude, leave it alone. It's your first batch. You racked early. That's fine. Don't do it again.

Now you wait. You wait until the yeast has nothing left to eat and falls out of the brew. It will become both darker and clearer. Soon you will see the surface of the yeast cake. Let us know when that happens.  Take a picture.
Okay Maine, will do....you haven't let me down yet. I am going to leave it sitting on the milk crate, as getting the carboy off the floor did raise the temp 2 * in 24 hours. I'm also going to try to leave the closet door open, in hopes the added "house heat" helps out. I also took 2 dark plastic garbage bags and double layered them over the carboy, so any light won't penetrate to the beer.

Quote from Yeast The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation

"Regardless of a strains,s flocculation level, lower beer temperatures result in a higher flocculation rate.  More yeast drop out of solution at 40 F ( 4 C ) as compared to 70  F (21 C ), and more yeast drop out at 32 F ( 0 C ) as compared to 40 F ( 4 C ). Some yeast strains require two week or more at 40 F ( 4 C ) to completely clear."

BY checking his attenuation, with a hydrometer the wort is most likely in it's Stationary Phase.

Okay Maine, will do....you haven't let me down yet. I am going to leave it sitting on the milk crate, as getting the carboy off the floor did raise the temp 2 * in 24 hours. I'm also going to try to leave the closet door open, in hopes the added "house heat" helps out. I also took 2 dark plastic garbage bags and double layered them over the carboy, so any light won't penetrate to the beer.

My wife was making fun of me when she saw my carboy (you know, the GLASS one I just friggin BROKE with 6 gallons of sanitizer water that went all over the #%$@&!$ basement floor!!! :mad:) cuz it had the 'carboy parka' on it....she pointed and laughed and said "you have a beer snuggie!!! HAHAHAHA"
Yeah....but I don't have bitter beer face from skunky beer....HA!
Seriously, good call on the black garbage bags.....kind of a dual purpose.... light AND holds a bit of heat in....

ihikeut said:
Quote from Yeast The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation

"Regardless of a strains,s flocculation level, lower beer temperatures result in a higher flocculation rate.  More yeast drop out of solution at 40 F ( 4 C ) as compared to 70  F (21 C ), and more yeast drop out at 32 F ( 0 C ) as compared to 40 F ( 4 C ). Some yeast strains require two week or more at 40 F ( 4 C ) to completely clear."

BY checking his attenuation, with a hydrometer the wort is most likely in it's Stationary Phase.
I think it is "stationary". I have been watching it for about 5 minutes...no bubbles and boooooring! The temp is around 65-66*, so I know all is well with the temp. I plan on brewing another batch this weekend, so I'm going to have to put it back on the floor, which means the temp will lower to 63 again. But it's a must do as I don't have enough room for a 2nd carboy with the milk crate in there. I will also take a few hydrometer readings.

But, even if it is "done", I plan on leaving it in the carboy for at least another week in hopes of seeing that yeast drop that Mainebrewer was talking about. Plus, I read that a little extra time in the carboy "conditioning phase" helps the flavors balance in, as the yeasts start to eat the undesirable flavored by products. Or, so it reads in "how to brew".

I am not sure if the beer will become "clear" as I steeped 1 lb. of flaked wheat as part of the recipe. From what I have read, that kind of haze just won't clear up. So I'm not sure as to how "clear" it will be. I fully intend on leaving it in the carboy for another 1 1/2 weeks from this point...bringing the total time in the secondary to 3 weeks minimum.

beernbourbon said:

My wife was making fun of me when she saw my carboy (you know, the GLASS one I just friggin BROKE with 6 gallons of sanitizer water that went all over the #%$@&!$ basement floor!!! :mad:) cuz it had the 'carboy parka' on it....she pointed and laughed and said "you have a beer snuggie!!! HAHAHAHA"
Yeah....but I don't have bitter beer face from skunky beer....HA!
Seriously, good call on the black garbage bags.....kind of a dual purpose.... light AND holds a bit of heat in....
Man, I'm just cheap that way. I saw those "snuggie" things your talking about at the "Midwest" site. I was like..."WTF? Another way to get a dime from someone."
Sorry to hear about your carboy. I'm still nervous as hell carrying mine around.

Brew Haulers are a life saver when transporting carboys. Check Amazon regularly for them and they will show up from time to time for around 5 buck.

gwapogorilla said:
Man, I'm just cheap that way. I saw those "snuggie" things your talking about at the "Midwest" site. I was like..."WTF? Another way to get a dime from someone."
Sorry to hear about your carboy. I'm still nervous as hell carrying mine around.
Yeah, I kinda thought that too, but....my brain wasn't in cheap mode, it was just, 'hey I need to keep it covered'.....but then she looks at me and said...."it's only two towels sewn together, I coulda done that!".....of course I didn't ask, and she didn't offer!! LOL
That's the danger of me going to the LHBS, just like going to Lowes or HD.....it's NEVER good to go by myself!! 8)
Thanks....I replaced it with a better boy 6 gallon..... sigh.... like the glass, but damn that mess.... :mad:

Back