• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hopstand IBU - Need Math Now!!

brewbirds

Apprentice
Reaction score
Sorry to be brusque but I really need an answer. BS now has IBUs being attributed to steeping but at 50% of the equivalent boil time. Brad has explained that this factor is appropriate for a 194F steeping temp (in a whirlpool). By contrast I am adding my hops after flame out, actually at about 150F for 20 minutes as my icebath is working. The reason I have zeroed on this method is to optimize for extracting the oils. Very happy to have the adjustment since I know my actual IBUs have always seemed greater than reported by BS when hopstanding - but I need to develop the right factor for the lower temp range. Thanks.

At the temperature you're stating, Isomerization is very low. Around 20 to 25%.

What will matter is the level of CoHumulone, because it isomerizes quickly and can give your bittering more coarseness. Not all hops are equal in terms of perceived bitterness.

Back