Author Topic: Happy Brewing from Chicagoland  (Read 4507 times)

harebare

Happy Brewing from Chicagoland
« on: May 11, 2008, 01:30:08 PM »
Hello all,

Great forum you have here. I just started playing with the Beer Smith software and I think I can safely say I won't be using all those Excel spreadsheets I developed along the way.

I started brewing extract/steeped grain beer about 6 or 7 years ago. It was fun but I always could point to something I didn't like about my beers. Too dark, too sweet, too cloudy, chill haze, not enough head... You name a characteristic, I could point to weaknesses in my brew. About a year ago I found a great microbrewery in my neighborhood with an even greater brewmaster. The guy was friendly, helpful and above all encouraging. (I think the way my friend and I constantly fawned over his EXCELLENT pale ale put us in his good graces.)

As we (my old high school pal and motorcycle buddy) got more and more aggressive, doing mini-mash recipes, building wort chillers and aerators, the more control we found we had over the finished product. And it was getting... well GOOD! After taking a few bottles down to the brewmaster, relating how we brewed and what our complaints were, we finally tumbled to the fact that we needed to skip the spray malt and start brewing all grain. WHAT a difference!

As my brew buddy likes to say, "It's all about science." That's what brought me to try Beer Smith. As I said, no more Excel spreadsheets for me.

Happy brewing, everyone.

- Harebare
  Elgin, IL

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Happy Brewing from Chicagoland
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
Welcome!

We're happy to have you here and I hope you enjoy the forum and our other sites.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline KEKO482

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:31:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Happy Brewing
Chris

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Glad to have you here.

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline Charlie Mops

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:07:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :D
A long time ago way back in history, when all there was to drink was nothing but cups of tea, along came a man by the name Charlie Mops and he invented a wounderfull drink and he made it out of hops. He ought to be Admiral, a Sultoun, or a King, and to his prasies we shall alwas sing.