• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

3 nitpicks and 1 suggestion

raun

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have 3 minor nitpicks with beersmith 2's UI:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Standard Windows/MS Office hot keys dont work - specifically F2 to rename.  Every time I copy a recipe to brewlog I hit F2 to try and rename it, which doesn't work.
[*]In the Notes/Tasting Notes tab an on-hover tip pops up and covers where the cursor is displayed.  Chances are I'm just quickly updating FG or recording racking/cold crash/etc dates in my notes section and the pop-up tip is covering what I am typing.  I'd like the tip to be completely removed or to go away on a keypress or mouse move.
[*]Beersmith on a 4K monitor doesn't scale well - it's 100% usable, but on windows 10, at least, text is a bit fuzzy.
[/list]

1 other suggestion:

When copying a recipe to the brewlog consider automatically changing the date to today's date.  I know this wouldn't be a 'copy to brewlog', anymore but more of an 'add to brewlog' instead.  I use date for a recipe to say when I added a recipe and date in the brewlog to be the brew day.

Thanks,
  I'll make note of these and see what I can do!

Brad

And while we have your ear Brad LOL

* When a recipe is first opened, the ingredients list is scrolled down by default so the top items don't show
* When in the notes tab, the vertical scroll bar is visible but doesn't work unless you move the mouse to the right hand edge
* Open a recipe with notes in the "Notes" field, select the Notes tab, single click in the "Taste Notes" field then single click in the "Notes" field at or near the end of the text and often times it highlights 1 or more rows of text.  You can't type until you clear the selection
* Ctrl+C a recipe in a folder, if you right click on another folder, the pop up menu should include paste

OK, done for now

PS, Windows 10
PSS, still love the SW, keep up the good work :)

Rick

I would agree about the res on newer monitors. I have a MBPro w/ Retina display and the icons have always been fuzzy.

+1 for the "add to brew log"

I use it the same way - it's my log.

-1 on the "add to brew log"

I don't copy to the brew log until fermentation is finished and I have tasted the beer. Only then, after I have finished writing all my notes on the beer, do I add it to the log. I use the actual brewing date for the date, and I want that date to remain accurate.

Back