• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Medicinal Cider

BOB357

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My wife is on a Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar kick. She drinks it before meals and rinses her hair with it. Not sure what else. I can't see spending 5 or 6 bucks a qt. for vinegar, so just started my Bragg's clone.

I'm fermenting 1/2 gal of organic cider with champagne yeast and then adding the sediment from a bottle of Bragg's to secondary. Using a gallon jug so there's lots of room for O2. Also will use foil on secondary rather than an air lock. Hopefully, this will produce whatever it is she thinks she's getting from the Bragg's.

If successful in producing decent vinegar, I'll let half of the batch age until it produces a mother and continue to brew it as she deems necessary.

If anyone as tried this I would appreciate any pointers. If not, I'll post results as they become available.

Successful in making Organic ACV. One thing I did find out after trying a couple of methods is to ferment the cider out with dry white wine yeast before racking it onto the SCOBE. I did one batch putting unfermented cider on the SCOBY and after 3 months it still had some residual sweetness. 

Another lesson learned was not to use a wine jug for secondary. After a few batches I ended up with 5 SCOBYs. Not only did that take up a bunch of space, but it was a bear getting them out. I saved 2 , so now have one for making wine vinegar. I was bottling most of each batch and adding 1/2 gallon to the jug.

Bob, thanks for sharing your experience, I've never heard anyone use it for medicinal purposes. What good does it do to the hair?

willster89 said:
Bob, thanks for sharing your experience, I've never heard anyone use it for medicinal purposes. What good does it do to the hair?

The Organic Apple Cider Vinegar aids in digestion and helps reduce acid reflux among other things according to my wife. She says it is a good scalp treatment as well and uses it to reduce dandruff.

Back