• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

notes in inventory section

hoboscratch

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I like to re-use yeast and think it would be nice to see the ability to add notes to an inventory item. This way I can put down the harvest date, if it was reused once, twice, etc.

Hoboscratch-

I farm yeast and have a similar issue.  There is a field for what you are asking: "Times Cultured".  The problem here is that its a field for the yeast item, not the inventory item.  You can adjust this in the recipe, but I don't see much point in that. 

I've settled on the following workaround:

When I culture, or wash yeast...I make a copy of the original yeast in "yeasts", and change the lab to myself "hampton labs".  Then I increment the "times cultured" field, set the package date, and update the inventory qty.  If I'm reculturing from my own stock I do the same thing.  So, I have one inventory item for each generation I have in the freezer.

When it comes time to prepare to make a recipe, I a)  Copy the recipe to the brewlog, b) Edit the recipe, and change the yeast to one of my generations of yeast from inventory, c) make any other changes before I brew, d) remove recipe from inventory, right before I brew.

It works, and I'm not sure if there really is a better way.  The key point is to always move the yeast through inventory.

Back