• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mac BS 2.1.02 brings CPU to its knees using tabs.

jddhammer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
MacOS 10.8.2  BS 2.1.02

I find that my BS process goes into a CPU loop consuming most available CPU and sucks the life out of my battery in minutes.  It appears to be related to the number of tabs open, and whether the application is minimized or not.  I assume you're scraping each screen continuously or something.  Is there a MacOS or WxWidgets config setting or something to control the behavior?

As I type this, I'm seeing up to 80% utilization on a newly started BS instance with 7 tabs open.  Close the tabs and the CPU usage goes down with each tab.

Agreed.

I just launched it and am doing NOTHING with it, and it's consuming anywhere from 18-50% of my CPU for absolutely no reason. If I open it and don't touch anything at all, it idles at around 0%, but the instant I open a recipe, it's stuck on a minimum of 18% CPU usage, even though I'm not doing anything.

This needs to be fixed quickly, as it has a detrimental affect on laptop brewers. 2.1.02 here as well.

Brad?

Thanks,
  I was unaware of this but I will certainly put this at the top of my list.  I suspect it might be an issue with updating some graphical elements continuously (which should not happen, but possibly is happening).

I will be sure a fix is in the next update.

Brad

Just thought I'd add that I'm seeing exactly the same behavior on my MacBook Pro with BS 2.1.02 and Mac OS 10.8.2

What's up with this issue?  Update says I am up to date and still suffering from this. 

JD

I'm seeing this as well. It makes taking my laptop near my brewing area impossible.
Can we get a status on this?
Thanks,
AO

It is at the top of my list to fix in the next set of updates.  I'm hoping to get the fix out early this fall.

Brad

Hi Brad,

This still seems to be an issue in Mac OS 11.0.1 and Beersmith 3. It's using about 13% CPU at idle.

(I know it's a really old thread, near-zero CPU use when in the background should be a priority.)

Back