• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strike water expansion (opposite of colling loss/shrink)

sciyan

Brewer
Reaction score
I would like to know if someone knows if the strike temperature that beersmith indicates is before I heat it or not ? I'm using a seperate kettle for my strike water, so if I heat ~50L at 80°C, I wont have 50L, but something close to 51-52L at 80C. So I can miss strike temperature.

I know it's not much, but still, I would like to know it.

I don't know, but I heat in the boiler and transfer it to the MLT also. 

I always heat it about 5-10F higher than BS2 calls for, and then I measure the amount of strike water as I transfer it, and then wait for it to cool to the strike temperature to mash in. 

This process allows time for the MLT to be pre-heated and stable, so the only variable is the grain.  I usually have to stir out ~1F before sealing up the MLT. 

The short answer is that BeerSmith uses hot temperatures for strike, pre-boil and post-boil volume numbers. The yield to fermenter is chilled.

I start all volumes at ambient temperature.

I have a dip stick calibrated for 170 F (in metric I would use 75C) by using weight, rather than volume. The weight of water is constant, where volume changes are not linear by temperature (graph below). It makes more sense to measure volumes near strike/sparge temperature. The volume difference between that and boil temps is about 2%.

Attachments

• water density by temperature.gif
    water density by temperature.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 517
Back