This week we focus on getting more than one beer from a single batch in a round table discussion with author Drew Beechum and Nathan Smith. We cover popular techniques such as parti-gyle brewing, but also many lesser known techniques such as splitting beers in the boil, at fermentation and even blending finished beers to get more variety from a single batch. It all starts with the mash, but the techniques go well beyond that in this unique episode.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (38:32)
- The focus of today’s episode is the many ways you can create more than one batch of beer from a single brewing session.
- Drew Beechum is the author of “The Everything Homebrewing Book”, an author for BeerAdvocate and the former President of Maltose Falcons. Nathan Smith is an active brewer and author who ‘s work can be found at Destroy.net.
- Parti-gyle brewing and its origins in Scotland – splitting a single mash into more than one beer
- Parti-gyle brewing using batch sparging
- Mixing multiple mashes
- Splitting beer batches at the boil
- Steeping additional grains to split a batch at boil
- Splitting batches at fermentation
- Post fermentation beer splitting and spicing
- Mixing finished beers to produce new ones
Thanks again to Drew Beechum and Nathan Smith for taking time out to participate in the podcast.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Brett and Sour Beer Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast #17
- Multiplying Your Beer – Several Beers from One
- Experimental Homebrewing with Drew and Denny – BeerSmith Podcast #90
- Brewing Saison Beer with Nathan Smith – BeerSmith Podcast #50
- Home Brewing Clubs with Drew Beechum – BeerSmith Podcast 36
- Parti-Gyle Brewing – Two Beers from One Mash
- Single Malt and Single Hop (SMASH) with Drew Beechum – BeerSmith Podcast #51
- Parti-Gyle Brewing – Two Beers from One Mash Revisited
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now