Just in time for St Patrick’s day, John Palmer is back as my guest and we go into depth on the Irish Stout beer style. Irish Stout is a favorite of mine, so I pulled in the co-author of “Brewing Classic Styles” to talk about this famous beer from Dublin.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (35:00)
- John Palmer makes his second visit to the show as my guest. John is the author of “How to Brew” at HowToBrew.com, the co-author of “Brewing Classic Styles” and the co-host of Brew Strong on the Brewing Network.
- John explains the history of Irish (Dry) Stout (Guiness stout) and its distinctive character
- We talk about the basic grain bill for an Irish Stout.
- Stout Roast is a key ingredient – which is actually one of the only dark malts made from unmalted barley.
- We talk about how to pasteurize a bit of soured mash to give your beer a bit of zing.
- Why Irish or English ale yeast is better for this relatively dry stout
- Guiness and their use of Nitrogen for carbonation including the unique Stout tap
- Alternatives to Flaked Barley for the extract brewer (Maltose Dextrin)
- For further reading, I have a detailed articles on Brewing an Irish Stout and Soured Beer if you want to learn more.
Thanks again to John Palmer for agreeing to do the interview!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Brewing an Irish Stout Beer Recipe
- Soured Beer in Homebrewing
- Three of my Favorite Beer Styles with Recipes
- Oatmeal Stout Recipes – Great Beer Styles
- Sweet Stout and Milk Stout Recipes
- Beer Brewing Water with John Palmer – BeerSmith Podcast #60
- Beer Brewing Water with John Palmer and Colin Kaminski – BeerSmith Podcast #70
- John Palmer on Hops and Home Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast 46
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now