This week we go all grain with Grandmaster brewing judge Gordon Strong. Gordon tells you how to make the leap from extract brewing to all-grain, including basic equipment, how to do a simple infusion mash, and sparging. Gordon also shares his thoughts on his new book “Brewing Better Beer” which was just released.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Reminder: The BeerSmith 2.0 Preorder is Open!
You can preorder your copy of BeerSmith here – including discounts for preorders and an additional discount for existing users!
Topics in This Week’s Episode (44:20)
- This week’s guest is Grandmaster brewer and 3 time Ninkasi award winner Gordon Strong. Gordon is also the author of the new book Brewing Better Beer: Master Lessons for Advanced Homebrewers. Gordon shares his thoughts on how to transition from extract to all grain brewing.
- In the announcements, I cover the upcoming launch of BeerSmith 2.0 – for both PC and Mac. The preorder is open now at a discount – so grab your copy now. This is a complete rewrite of BeerSmith from scratch – the most significant new release in the 8 years since the original BeerSmith was published.
- Gordon gives us his thoughts on partial mash brewing – and urges people to consider moving directly to all grain instead.
- He walks us through the equipment needed for an average brewer to move from extract to all grain brewing.
- We talk about crushing grains, and using them in a relatively short time after crushing them.
- Gordon explains the infusion mash – the simplest technique to start out with.
- We talk about sparging and lautering, including basic techniques for fly sparging, batch sparging, and avoiding a stuck sparge.
- Gordon talks about full wort boils and the importance of cooling your wort quickly
- He gives some sound advice on brewing with a buddy before you jump right into all grain alone!
- Gordon shares his thoughts on his new book “Brewing Better Beer” oriented towards advanced brewers. The book was just released and has been selling very well on Amazon.
Thanks again to Gordon Strong who was kind enough to appear on the show!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Note: The link to Mr Strong’s book is an Amazon Affiliate link – if you order a copy I will receive a few dimes in commission.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Porter Beer Recipes with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 26
- Hop Techniques for Beer with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #67
- How to Brew Beer with Malt Extract Digital Preorder Discount Open
- Advanced Home Brewing with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 39
- Oktoberfest and Marzen Beers with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 48
- The 2015 BJCP Beer Style Guide with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #104
- Countdown to BeerSmith 2 – 10 June Launch!
- Judging Beer with Grandmaster Gordon Strong – BSHB Podcast #6
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now