This week I invite Bob Hansen from Briess malting and ingredients company to talk about beer brewing, malts, malting your own grain and also malt extract. Bob provides a great overview of how malted barley is grain, how specialty grains are made and even how they make malt extract.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (48:58)
- Bob Hansen from Briess malting is my guest this week. Bob is a double major in Biochemistry and Applied Math/Physics and worked previously at Water Street Brewery. Bob is involved in R&D at Briess and helped set up their Briess extract plant as well as their pilot brewery.
- We start with a short discussion of Briess and what they provide to the brewing industry.
- Bob explains the difference between malted and unmalted barley.
- We talk about the steps of turning unmalted barley into malted barley (soaking, germinating, roasting).
- Bob explains the kilning process and how it can be used to make some base malt varieties.
- We also explore how malted and unmalted barley is roasted to make most of the remaining specialty malts we brew with.
- Bob offers some tips for malting barley at home.
- We talk about grain storage and how long you can reasonably store malted barley
- Bob explains how torrified grains are made, and why some raw grains need to be cooked or gelatinized.
- We walk through how grains are mashed and then the moisture is removed to produce malt extract
- We talk about how Briess reaches out to the homebrewing community.
Thanks to Bob Hansen from Briess for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Cereal Mash Steps for All Grain Beer Brewing
- Malting Barley for Beer with Andrea Stanley – BeerSmith Podcast #59
- Malting Barley Grain at Home
- Beyond Barley Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast #13
- Malt and its Impact on Beer with Dr Charlie Bamforth – BeerSmith Podcast #105
- Malt for Beer Brewing with John Mallett – BeerSmith Podcast #94
- Diastatic Power and Mashing your Beer
- Hops and Malt with John Mallett from Bell’s – BeerSmith Podcast #69
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now