This week my guest is Randy Mosher, the author of Radical Brewing. Randy and I discuss his recent trip to Brazil and how breweries there are taking advantage of local cuisine, ingredients and customs to develop their own flavors in beer. In a wide ranging interview, Randy once again opens our minds to a world of interesting brewing possibilities.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (39:56)
- Randy Mosher, the author of Radical Brewing and also Tasting Beer (Amazon affiliate links). He also is a partner in 5 Rabbit Brewery near Midway Airport in Chicago. Randy recently returned from Brazil where he explored a wide variety of beer styles and also finishing up a new book about home brewing.
- Randy starts by talking a bit about his recent trip to Brazil and the explosion in microbreweries there.
- We discuss the strong growth we’re seeing across South America in homebrewing and also beer brewing
- Randy explains how some of the microbreweries in Brazil are starting to experiment with local flavors, culture and cuisine in their beer.
- We explore the use of Cane Sugar and Honey in beers
- We talk about the use of local Brazilian fruits in beer and which styles bring out fruit flavors the best
- Randy talks a bit about local spices that are being used in beer
- We discuss in general how to meld exotic flavors and ingredients into your personal beer style
- Randy discusses where to find some of these Brazilian ingredients locally
- We spend a few minutes discussing Randy’s new book on homebrewing which is coming out early next year
Thanks to Randy Mosher for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- Designing Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast 30
- India Pale Ale and Carrot Cake – BeerSmith Podcast #18
- Tasting Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #89
- Malted Grains for Beer Brewing with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #81
- Beyond Barley Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast #13
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now