Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (48:18)
- Gordon Strong is my guest this week. Gordon is a three time Ninkasi award winner (top US homebrewer), Grandmaster Level VII Beer Judge, President of the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP.org), and author of the recent book “Brewing Better Beer” (Amazon Affiliate Link). Gordon joins me this week to talk about how to brew some popular fall beer styles including Marzen, Octoberfest and Pumpkin beers.
- Gordon talks a bit about the history of Octoberfest and Marzen beers as well as how they are related to Octoberfest
- We discuss how Marzen got its name – from the German word for the month March in which it was brewed
- Gordon speaks about the Octoberfest/Marzen style and its chief characteristics
- We talk about the ideal grain bill and hops for this style
- He explains which mash and fermentation profile he prefers including why he likes decoction for this beer style
- We cover the basics of brewing Pumpkin beer, which is another popular beer style
- Gordon talks for just a few minutes about his book “Brewing Better Beer”
Thanks to Gordon Strong for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- Judging Beer with Grandmaster Gordon Strong – BSHB Podcast #6
- Porter Beer Recipes with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 26
- Hop Techniques for Beer with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #67
- The 2015 BJCP Beer Style Guide with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #104
- Advanced Home Brewing with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 39
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now