This week my guest is Mitch Steele from Stone Brewery. Mitch is the author of a new book called IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale. Mitch tells us how to brew the perfect India Pale Ale.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (43:26)
- Mitch Steele is my guest this week. Mitch is the author of the new book IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale (Amazon affilliate link). He’s also the brewmaster at Stone Brewing Company and has a degree in Fermentation Science from the University of California at Davis.
- Mitch starts by talking about the history of India Pale Ales in the 1700s
- We talk about how the style has evolved with the Burton IPA style in the 1800’s and also how it has enjoyed a huge resurgence through microbreweries here in the US over the last 30 years
- Mitch talks about the popular IPA substyles and variations
- We discuss the grain bill for a modern English IPA
- Mitch explains the hop varieties and hop schedules he prefers for brewing an IPA including dry hopping
- We talk about brewing water and its role in creating a classic IPA
- Mitch recommends some yeasts to use for IPA
- We talk about fermenting, mashing and finishing an IPA
- We spend a few minutes talking about what is needed to brew popular variations like the Double IPA, Imperial IPA and dark IPA
- Mitch talks about his new IPA book and what it includes
Thanks to Mitch Steele for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- Porter Beer Recipes with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 26
- Designing Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast 30
- Brewing Like a Monk with Stan Hieronymous – BeerSmith Podcast 37
- Oktoberfest and Marzen Beers with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 48
- John Palmer – The Home Brewing Celebrity – BSHB Podcast Ep 3
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now